Broken oregon chain

scbk

Spend a wee bit more on Stihl chains - much better chain IMO.

??????? last 2 reels of stihl chain I brought I think about 5 or more drive links snapp,cutters snapped clean off on brand new chain and that was with out hitting any thing on one chain i lost about 4 cutters so had to make it in to a skip chain....utter pants and far to soft the stihl imo

??????? last 2 reels of stihl chain I brought I think about 5 or more drive links snapp,cutters snapped clean off on brand new chain and that was with out hitting any thing on one chain i lost about 4 cutters so had to make it in to a skip chain....utter pants and far to soft the stihl imo

Can't believe you didn't hit anything Matty. The only time I've lost cutters is when the chain is nearing the end of its life or I hit metal. Maybe I just had a bad experience with Oregon in general. When I first trained at Shuttleworth, a lot of my kit was Oregon - most of it lasted 5 minutes before something broke on it.

Can't believe you didn't hit anything Matty. The only time I've lost cutters is when the chain is nearing the end of its life or I hit metal. Maybe I just had a bad experience with Oregon in general. When I first trained at Shuttleworth, a lot of my kit was Oregon - most of it lasted 5 minutes before something broke on it.

honest I had one 020 chain infact i still have that on my climbing saw it just lost a cutter on a new chain and it has happened more than once before from memmory ,I think since stihl have put holes in there drive links to asist oiling i have had a number of drive links break as well,or maybe mine was a batch of inferior metal.

I think oregon use a harder steel as the last small batch of oregon seems to be harder to file than the stihl stuff i have always used.

The one in the photo looks like the rivet was over tightened on the tie strap to me??