Snobbery in the smaller bar size range?

rowan lee

Another silly question to annoy all you pro's with. Bar size snobbery, or is there a mechanism/system behind it all that requires it.

For example - (correct me if i'm wrong but) never seen 12-14'' bars for back handled pro saws i.e. on a 260

and yet have never seen 13-15'' bars on domestic saws i.e. on a 250

Does this tie in my with my other query in the thread on 'the funtion of pitch'

Or

is it something you guys want to own up too!:001_tt2:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here - I don't have a 13 inch bar on my 260, but have the option of one if I want it.

Conversely, I find the opposite to be true regarding domestic saws - they tend to supply them with much too long guide bars for the power of the saw. I suppose it's to make it less aggressive.

Jonathan

Conversely, I find the opposite to be true regarding domestic saws - they tend to supply them with much too long guide bars for the power of the saw. I suppose it's to make it less aggressive.

Jonathan

Agree with first point, the guy wanted to put an 18'' on my first 250 in the shop - cos he had run out of 16'' bars, both of which i thought were too big and and awkward anyways for a 45cc saw. (I opted for a 14'' instead).

Not sure i understand your second point though? Having a shorter bar doesnt make the chain rotate faster surely, perhaps you get slightly faster acceleration from go, but if im cutting a 6'' diameter log, with a 16'' or a 12'' bar

on the same saw, surely its not gonna make a huge difference when it comes to aggression. Or will it?:001_smile:

BTW folks, i may not have been clear in the initial post. I didn't mean range as in 12'' to 14'' i meant either a 12 or 14'' etc.

What i meant was - how come you can get 16'' bars for a 250 and 260

yet - you can't get a 12'' bar for a standard 260

and

you can't get a 13'' bar for a standard 250.

Is it something to do with the standard pitch size of these saws and the gear ratio's :confused1:

Cheers.

Agree with first point, the guy wanted to put an 18'' on my first 250 in the shop - cos he had run out of 16'' bars, both of which i thought were too big and and awkward anyways for a 45cc saw. (I opted for a 14'' instead).

Wise choice a ive used a 250 with an 18 inch bar and its next to useless.