Pollarding?

ry2

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh sorry, i mean overall, generally speaking for most trees- why, are there some trees that pollarding is a better choice than a crown reduction?

Yes, of course, different trees respond differently to pollarding, and are done for different reasons.

"street trees" is a wide ranging group. Too difficult to answer why they might be pollarded.

So pollarding vs crown reduction- is it purely TIME that is a factor? (and also more tricky work to reduce)

If time wasn't an issue would it always be better to do a full crown reduction on the tree back to growth points before it out grows its situation? and would this ensure the trees natural character vs cutting back to stumps and loads of shoots coming out? like you see on a lot of street trees?

Not in my opinion no.

A properly managed street tree pollard will be pruned back all the way to its 'cleanched fist knuckle' every few years.

The appearance of the tree will be much the same from one decade to the next, as pollarding is not exactly artistic.

In many species, if you do a reduction, so the tree is the size you want it, then in a few years later, you wish to reduce it back to that size, you will have limited good pruning points. Solution - reduce it a little more, or a little less than last time...... but what happens for the next cycle, and the one after that, etc, etc.

At some point, its going to be loppin-and-toppin time (and I don't think thats in BS3998 any more).

Pollards..... love 'em. You know where you are with a proper regular pollard.

oh sorry, i mean overall, generally speaking for most trees- why, are there some trees that pollarding is a better choice than a crown reduction?

In the UK its purely cultural, meaning pollarding aka hacking a tree in half has became widely accepted as a form of tree management despite the fact its the most ridiculous form of tree pruning known to man.

The main reason its ridiculous is that when you pollard a tree you lose the natural stem taper of the branch, leaving a repugnant stub. The natural stem taper gives a tree its graceful appearance. Topping aka pollarding destroys the trees' natural appearance and leaves what can only be described as a mutilated or butchered tree.

In the UK its purely cultural, meaning pollarding aka hacking a tree in half has became widely accepted as a form of tree management despite the fact its the most ridiculous form of tree pruning known to man.

The main reason its ridiculous is that when you pollard a tree you lose the natural stem taper of the branch, leaving a repugnant stub. The natural stem taper gives a tree its graceful appearance. Topping aka pollarding destroys the trees' natural appearance and leaves what can only be described as a mutilated or butchered tree.

This is what i think.

I guess the answer is subjective.

I also heard that larger wounds that you'd get from the pollard are worse for the tree than smaller wounds?

I did think of Bolt's post about the fact that you would have to keep pruning higher and higher every few years to get it back to decent growth and eventually be left with no choice but to cut back to wood (as opposed to growth) if the species allows as some may not grow back from pollards like conifer or a beech doesn't have very advanticious buds.

Originally Posted by ry2

Yes, of course, different trees respond differently to pollarding, and are done for different reasons.

"street trees" is a wide ranging group. Too difficult to answer why they might be pollarded.

I realise there may be different reasons why a pollard may be better than a crown reduction for example when there are disease/pests or decay etc in the crown and need to bring it below for safety reasons but i should have asked the question- "Assuming there are not any disease/pests or decay etc in the crown are there some trees that pollarding is a better choice than a crown reduction with maintaining the trees natural character in mind?

As i have seen the re growth from a pollard on London Plain and lime trees which looks like a toilet brush with lots of quite straight growth, where as i would prefer to look at the trees natural bendy characteristics.

Since working for a company partly subbed out by a large council tree contactor, i have come to detest pollards. Correct crown reductions and thins are far better for the tree and the people who have to look at them. In the long run they require less maintainance, less money, and look infinately better.

However, in my experience, there are far less tree surgeons out there than many realise (especially in large commercial companies that often carry out the street tree maintainance) who actually have the level of skill to complete decent tree reductions, irrespective of size.

I have seen so many bodged pollards and re-pollards. Not cutting back cleanly to the knuckles correctly is a prime example of poor work and effort. There are also loads of pollards around the city centre that have clearly given up the will to live after one too many 'Pollard' (or in reality, topping as I see it).

I could rant on about this for ages.