Wallnut Dilemma

RPA

Looked a i job last week to basically do some deadwooding and crown cleaning on some Syc/Oak/etc. The customer asked me to have a look around the rest of her trees to give them a quick check.

The wallnut is obviously not a good specimin with a big lean and having had some poor line clearance limb removal done in the past, but held in high regard by the customer.

The cavity is existing and previously known about. There is little to no heatwood left at the base of the tree.

The base decay is new. It is at 90 deg to the lean of the tree and the cavity hole.

The customer would like to retain the tree. My mind (and logic) says one thing and my heart another so any comments appreciated.

It would obviously be nice to get a scan of the cross section, anyone know the cost of/if you can hire in pico's etc ?

Thanx

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard,

What's the other side of the hedge?. I presume that if it failed at the base it would / could take out the lines but miss the oil tank.

I know of a couple of guys in Cumbria that could do decay testing but don't know what they cost (1 resistograph - Capita, Penrith, 1 resistograph & Picus - Bruce Hatton, Broughton-in-Furness). Conkers might have had dealings with Bruce as he's in the same area.

In your shoes I'd look at a possible reduction to stabilise if possible and get another planted, but I'm only going off the photos.

Good luck:icon14:

Thanks Dave (one of the left limbs will also take out the gable of the garage and there is a public access the other side of the hedge)/Tony (concentrating too much on decay, did not think about the concequences of the epi :icon14:)

IMO it should go, I guess I was just after some reasurance/confirmation because the owner feels so stongly about the tree. That said she seems happy go along with my advice whatever the outcome (and will replant)

Richard.

Richard,

What's the other side of the hedge?. I presume that if it failed at the base it would / could take out the lines but miss the oil tank.

I know of a couple of guys in Cumbria that could do decay testing but don't know what they cost (1 resistograph - Capita, Penrith, 1 resistograph & Picus - Bruce Hatton, Broughton-in-Furness). Conkers might have had dealings with Bruce as he's in the same area.

In your shoes I'd look at a possible reduction to stabilise if possible and get another planted, but I'm only going off the photos.

Good luck:icon14:

I can do a Picus test for you, but i would say its a waste of time and money in this case - tree is shot and its location , surroundings and lean are:scared1:

I would be the last one to fell a tree if it was 50/50 but it is best to dismantle the tree, assuming it is still climbable, rather than wait for it to become iffy to dismantle later on.

Reeeeee-plant.

Good luck with the customer.

Have used Bruce Hatton once. I think he has all the kit!

I usually pass his name on to the customer if assesments are needed!

A hollow tree doesn't allways meen the end. the rule i go by ,is if theres 60% of the base in tact & it has solid butresses, it's worth a punt. Shigo says ' A tree isnt hollow because its old, Its old because its hollow.

Like your take on this Mark. :icon14:

Obviously you have to take each tree on merit, but I feel far too many trees are overcautiously felled.

Nice quote by the way.

Ftr; looks to me like a fell in this paricular case is the sensible way to go :sad:

Ftr; looks to me like a fell in this paricular case is the sensible way to go :sad:

Shame, but very reasonable in the situation. Can't you leave the basal growth for a bit of walnut coppice? :001_smile:

Richard, did you go to Myerscough College a few years back? driving a disgusting coloured Fiat as I remember?