Bio diesel update

felixthelogchopper

No. I have heard of some engines used on machinery that used a carb and petrol to start up and then when running switched to diesel.

I've never heard of a road going vehicle having this overly complex system though.

tvo grey fergie tractor was the most common for this set-up, wouldnt work for a diesel.. 1 uses spark ignition the other compression ignition

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, stick with real Diesel. Don't waste your time and money trying to make it yourself. I know of people here in the states with less than happy results, usual results include but are not limited to the following: clogged injectors, moisture build-up in fuel lines,and tank.trouble starting, and rough running. Since the adding of Ethanol to petrol fuel mixtures of up to 10% the amount of damage to Two/Four cycle equipment has run into the Millions if not Billions of Dollars nation wide. I will never understand why a country as blessed with the natural resources we have could ever want or need to use food stocks for fuel needs. Don't fall for it, unless you don't mind stepping in at the same time.

easy-lift guy

Folks, stick with real Diesel. Don't waste your time and money trying to make it yourself. I know of people here in the states with less than happy results, usual results include but are not limited to the following: clogged injectors, moisture build-up in fuel lines,and tank.trouble starting, and rough running. Since the adding of Ethanol to petrol fuel mixtures of up to 10% the amount of damage to Two/Four cycle equipment has run into the Millions if not Billions of Dollars nation wide. I will never understand why a country as blessed with the natural resources we have could ever want or need to use food stocks for fuel needs. Don't fall for it, unless you don't mind stepping in at the same time.

easy-lift guy

Some bikes esp. older ones are being damaged by the addition of ethanol in petrol. I read this week that the US is currently diverting 40% of its corn crop into ethanol production and, even if that figure was raised to 100%, then it would still be less than 5% of their needs.

Additionally, the cost in fossil fuels to manufacture 'bio' fuels negates any supposed 'green' benefits. Nations and politicians are jumping onto the 'green bandwagon' as an excuse to raise taxes and further their careers!

Much as I'd like to see 'green' alternatives it ain't going to happen.

Graham, You sir are Spot On!, I could not agree with you more and the corn lobby here in the states is doing all it can to not lose their business for the sake of the rest of the country picking up the tab. I hope the people of the UK don't fall for the con game that many here in the States did only so that the corn producers could line there pockets with cash.

easy-lift guy

What about the Naturally Aspirated 2.25 diesel Series 2, 2a and early 3 Land Rovers? Were they not carb fed deisel powered?

Nope. You can't atomise heavy oil with a carburretor; it has to be injected under high pressure into the hot compressed air in the cylinder at whatever degrees before tdc.

Hope you get it all fixed up Allen (F the Chopper).

The old grey feurgusen tractors where petrol start till warm,then switch over to parrafin,I ran one on central heating fuel/petrol at 3/1,as advised by an old farmer,the landy series diesels were injected for sure.

Hope you get it all fixed up Allen (F the Chopper).

The old grey feurgusen tractors where petrol start till warm,then switch over to parrafin,I ran one on central heating fuel/petrol at 3/1,as advised by an old farmer,the landy series diesels were injected for sure.

Mate, check the date of my original post :biggrin: Can do wednesday or thursday only this week as have to do a day at Howe Green :001_rolleyes:

What you doin up this late Al... my bad on my previous post,you all good?

Will juggle the diary & see what lines up mate.:001_smile:

Just back from the in-laws, mate, and all is fine, thanks. Need to get you and Spike together sometime to work out a price between you for the work at Howe Green, but no rush. It can wait until after I go away :001_smile: