346 xp chain tensioning problem!!

richyrich

Sorted? Make sure that you press the nose of the bar down on a log or something that won't damage the teeth when you are tightening. I tighten mine so i can just see the tangs if i pull the chain down then i tighten the nuts up and away i go. I find the oregon chains are just as temperamental as the husky ones mate, as already mentioned, i think they are the same manufacturer anyway. Not sure how a new chain is going to help though?

Just take it back to the dealer and tell him to sort it out!

Im not overly impressed with my ne 346xp anyway.

Why are you not happy with the 346 xp? I have 2 and think they are awesome..

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

read too many posts about them being the bees knees, then when i got mine it wasn't what i thought it would be. Bogs to easily for my liking when cross cutting, it's ok for snedding and zipping bits and bobs etc. I bought a second hand 2006 260 and i prefer that over the 346.

Dont forget a brand new saw is set up rich till its run in, so performance will be affected, esp under full load. Run a few tankfulls through then re-set, or return to dealers for them to set it up. I've found in the past that a new bar can "run tight" due to the paint in the rails. If this occurs I just run a worn chain to loosen things up, then its fine for a new chain.

I love my 346, i run a 16" cannon bar on it and its great. i have had it re set after running in and it zipps through anything. i think the secret to not getting it bogged down is to be good at sharpening and setting rakers. every 3 sharpens i take 2 swipes at the rakers and its sweeeeet.:thumbup:

It's not new, its nearly two years old and probably has 150+ tanks through it. I have recently started using a new guide when sharpening and it seems to have helped it. Wish I could tach it myself, knowing our mechanic it will be set 2 thousand rpms lower than it should be!! Would also like to file the rakers lower. ;)

minnnt

Taking rakers down will not do any good, just make it aggressive.

You will do better in focusing on getting it really sharp so it cuts better and longer.

150 tanks is not much, it is barley enough to get a decent feel for the saw.

richyrich

Dealers exist for a reason, that is to help chainsaw users.

If you buy stuff at a dealer and either have the saw with you or know your stuff you get the help you need.

If there is a problemp it will be found out and corrected.

A good dealer is worth a lot more than a few £ saved on a cheaper part.

Just a thought, Richyrich but do you have the exact right chain for the bar. I dont just mean no. of drive links. There are many different types of chain, and it will need to be compatible with the bar. If the bar says you need .058 (the gap in the bar rails) a .063 chain will be too tight in the rails to fit. The difference is about 1/10th of a mm, but enough to be a problem. I hope I've explained myself clearly.:001_smile: