Northern lights holiday, any advise?

josharb87

sounds like a great break! sure you hadnt been smoking?? :001_tt2:

needs to be scandinavia preferably though:001_smile:

HaHa! although now that you say that.....:smokin:

We were really lucky to see them, a total surprise and an awesomely humbling experience, and they were quite faint, nowhere near as good as what you will hopefully see! Enjoy :thumbup1:

The cheapest way is to subscribe to e-mail alerts from Space Weather.Com

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Ocasionally Northern Lights are bright enough to see from the UK especially if you have a good, dark Northern horizon. The e-mail give you a few hours or days notice to be alert for possible display. I have seen them twice from the UK in Cumbria and Warwickshire.

Photo I took in 1992!

AURORA_013-1.jpg

The northern lights are indeed amazing. I had the good luck to see them in North Wales about 8 years ago. Lots of other people around saw them too so I know I didn't imagine it but I still would find it difficult to describe and not really what I had previously imagined. My mother in her sixties then hadn't ever seen them before. I would class them as some thing you must see before you die; so well worth travelling!

I went to finnish lapland, to a place called Yllas, then went with one of the guides, snow shoed out into the forest to a big open fire with warm drinks etc, sat round on reindeers furs watching the northern lights it was ace, we went out the last week in january a few years back.

Yllas is a very small village really, but plenty to do like snow mobiles, ice fishing, a few ski runs and cross country, but a bit quiet on the evenings, if your after things like disco's then maybe not for you, but if your after a cabin on the edge of the forests then its ace I wouldnt go any earlier in the year than last week in Jan as it was still dark plenty early then, but im sure you can find something to do in the evenings

stunning pic log hauler!

Cheers for the link Tobias:thumbup1:

Charlie, that sounds near perfect! how long did you stay? did Yllas have a restaurant or bar or nothing?

as for evening entertainment, thats where the roaring open fire, thick rug and blonde come in:biggrin:

we went for a week, stayed in one of the hotels, but they have log cabins around the area, this also gives you a chance to ski/walk to the hotel for full cooked breakfast! there is a village website something like www.yllas.fi

there are a few hotel bars, a pizza place and one disco, although the hotels seem to have live music several nights a week as well. My internet is down at the moment so im doing this over my mobile so i cant give you links to where we stayed but its one that Inghams were dealing with, although i dont know if its still on their website

I went to finnish lapland, to a place called Yllas, then went with one of the guides, snow shoed out into the forest to a big open fire with warm drinks etc, sat round on reindeers furs watching the northern lights it was ace, we went out the last week in january a few years back.

Yllas is a very small village really, but plenty to do like snow mobiles, ice fishing, a few ski runs and cross country, but a bit quiet on the evenings, if your after things like disco's then maybe not for you, but if your after a cabin on the edge of the forests then its ace I wouldnt go any earlier in the year than last week in Jan as it was still dark plenty early then, but im sure you can find something to do in the evenings

ive been to yllas as well was excelent.:thumbup: we stayed in cabin theyre really good. definatly worth a trip