workin in frost

tim Ber

2 years ago i felled a chestnut that was frozen, no problem felling it, cut into rings as cliant wanted to use it for firewood, came to split the rings, between 18 and 30inch dia, they went through a dream, one swing of the axe and a 30" ring splits into 4 or more pieces :)

The colder it is,the easier it seems to Split.I had a play around last week Splitting some Oak in -10,much easier.

I don't mind working in the Cold,but anything under -20 can get painful.I don't like climbing in Snow Boots or thick Gloves.So I have to suffer when my Feet and Fingers thaw out in a Warm Truck Cab.

Ropes get a bit stiff in the Cold,Friction Hitches can seize,they melt the ice when your decending and then it freezes again.Saws get problematic and you need winter grade Bar oil,or dilute it with an Alcohol.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good for extraction. About to thin a larch plantation which we need to cross a big grass common to reach. Being frozen means that the tractors won't make too much mess.

As for working it can just be upleasnt in the frost and snow. Fortuantly i tend to do the forwarding/skidding so i get a nice warm cab, and in the summer it works the other way as the cab has air con too. Unfortantly this has made me slightly soft.

No problems with the frost here.

Well maintained equipment will still work well in sub-zero conditions.

Wood does not get cold like steel or stone, the ground is hard so we make less mess.

Frost is great and much better than rain.

Couldnt agree more. Bring on the cold. I overheat even on cool days. All equipment fine.:001_smile:

Lol. If there is a biting frost we try n have a big bonfire and if that doesnt work we get the chipper running. The exhaust and radiator keep our hand warm. And if needs be we put the heaters on in the trucks to heat our gloves up.

Had a fire on Friday to get rid of the offcuts from making 1x1 tree sakes for the FC. There was so much that it was done with the tractor. When its time to chip the sawmill waste its the hottest job in the world in winter. Start with some 6 layers and your down to the base one before long.

Had a fire on Friday to get rid of the offcuts from making 1x1 tree sakes for the FC. There was so much that it was done with the tractor. When its time to chip the sawmill waste its the hottest job in the world in winter. Start with some 6 layers and your down to the base one before long.

My colleagues took a picture of me last winter working in nothing but trousers n boots as i was on fire duty. I was loading the stuff above my head and it was munching through everything. We got the fire going on the stump of a tree we felled the week before to get rid of it.

It sure does but sadly the boss is too tight to buy even a lil tractor with a flail n maybe a bucket but we have a contractor who we use with a massive one. But he bought a new ford ranger with all the off road trimmings and a couple of new saws. How does that work? lol. I have used a tractor before for a fire but sadly it was a massive barn fire that had been started by the local oiks. The fire got thru 2500 bales, 150 bags of NPK Fertilizer and a brand new Massey with flail arm on the back. They had CCTV on the side of the barn showing the kids setting fire to the barn but according to the local plod it wasnt enough proof that they were the ones who set fire to it. Even tho they all had lighters and lighter fluid.