Have you got any logs left ??

Dave Martin

Nice one Steve:thumbup:

Bet hes one of those "who has a mate who can get loads of pallets and stuff" and is running a bit low so thought he would ask someone "who does wood"

Obviously got a taste of the real world:001_rolleyes:

Here is a copy of the email to start with I was a bit annoyed but now have to admire the cheek.

I was looking for Oak, but I guess beech would do. I live about 300 yds from you (****** ******** Rise) – guess these may have come from bottom of our road?

£100 cash?

Need about 10” and split. Interested?

Malcolm in the village knows someone but you are sooo local.

Let me know buy mid next week

Cheers

John

07801 *********

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a copy of the email to start with I was a bit annoyed but now have to admire the cheek.

I was looking for Oak, but I guess beech would do. I live about 300 yds from you (****** ******** Rise) – guess these may have come from bottom of our road?

£100 cash?

Need about 10” and split. Interested?

Malcolm in the village knows someone but you are sooo local.

Let me know buy mid next week

Cheers

John

07801 *********

I would ask him for Malcolms number cos at £25 a cube for seasoned processed oak and ash you may as well buy from his friend :biggrin:

I would ask him for Malcolms number cos at £25 a cube for seasoned processed oak and ash you may as well buy from his friend :biggrin:

When i emailed back I said if he found more than he needed I would mop up what was left even if it was ONLY Beech :lol:

There is someone local who charges the same as us but delivers a third more but its processed beech that morning. I was thinking get a stash which should be ok for January but the margin could just be a little on the tight side.

There is someone local who charges the same as us but delivers a third more but its processed beech that morning. I was thinking get a stash which should be ok for January but the margin could just be a little on the tight side.

Ask for a bulk price Steve:sneaky2:, might get nearer double your money then. Even if its stacked till next winter might be a very nice product by then:thumbup1:

well dave, thats why we do mostly wholesale, pallets on a forklift me and the sister in law can shift about :thumbup1:- barrow bags - leave to you beefy boys with your hernias and overweight transits:lol:

joy

Do you think to save time I should stop brushing down each log individually and stop date stamping each log with a processing date and then maybe deliver in the BMW instead of the overweight transit truck to give a more professional appearance .... I am always willing to learn :sneaky2:

well it was inevitable really dave, we had our first bad egg of the year - and lets hope its the last - he was complaining about the moisture content of our load , after hed tried to get discount for noticing a spelling mistake on our web page! - hubby went to collect load as i said wed give a full refund and collect the load back if not happy - he was moisture metering with a log in his hand, covered in frost and snow after wed delivered to him on friday night late - in the snow - and pushed the moisture meter into the frost and read 32% after i said wed guarantee 25% and below - hubby explained you had to split the log in two to get an accurate reading in these extreme weather times - but wanted more discount and more logs - so we said no find another supplier - 500 tonnes delivered so far this season and no complaints - had to find one bad egg I suppose !

take note people who deliver to blackbrook near newcastle - beware of this bad egg! he even wanted another 3m3 to give in compensation! and then talk of trading standards - he didnt like it when i said bring it on we have nothing to hide in measure or moisture measuring. also said there was larch in - it turned out to be debarked Beech !

aarrghh - i suppose one bad egg in 500 loads aint bad! so far so good

joy

just goes to show a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous - or a moisture meter in the wrong hands - no good pressing moisture meter into a wet outer skin of the log - push it into the split open centre to give an accurate reading -

Edited by Joy Yeomans
addition

well it was inevitable really dave, we had our first bad egg of the year - and lets hope its the last

About 5 o`clock tonight I was trying to catch my horse ( 17.2 monster who had broken his head collar ) to put in the stable for the night when I got a phone call `How much are your logs` explained the prices and he politely said `thank you very much` and put the phone down. Intrigued as to why he had not bought any I sent him a text explaining our `budget product of grade 2 hardwood` for a lesser price and he text back saying that he had been quoted £45 a cube and would I like to match that .... no mention of quality.