Have you got any logs left ??

Dave Martin

I sold out of seasoned 1st week of December, been selling what i can buy in which is 2-3 yr seasoned hardwood, kilndried logs by the 2cbm crate and briquettes. Think i have managed to score some more 2-3yr seasoned hardwood but its pretty pricey so it will be selling at £140 per 0.7 cube which is what i also sell the kiln dried at.

I am currently totally out of stock of everything awaiting delivery of another artic trailer of goodies to be put on the ferry on the 2nd! Been nice to have a bit of a break though.

I have also got my eye on some Colombian trebles which is supposed to be the best coal going, does anyone have any experience with coal? I can also get my mits on russian doubles which is considerably cheaper.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold out of seasoned 1st week of December, been selling what i can buy in which is 2-3 yr seasoned hardwood, kilndried logs by the 2cbm crate and briquettes. Think i have managed to score some more 2-3yr seasoned hardwood but its pretty pricey so it will be selling at £140 per 0.7 cube which is what i also sell the kiln dried at.

I am currently totally out of stock of everything awaiting delivery of another artic trailer of goodies to be put on the ferry on the 2nd! Been nice to have a bit of a break though.

I have also got my eye on some Colombian trebles which is supposed to be the best coal going, does anyone have any experience with coal? I can also get my mits on russian doubles which is considerably cheaper.

Bl**dy hell, well done that man :thumbup:

Dont forget I have £90 shipping on every crate/pallet and can only get two bags of seasoned on a pallet. so £45 per bag of that goes direct to the shipping company... There are better margins on the kiln dried because i split one crate into 3 bags.

I was left waiting this summer for 25ton shipments of hardwood logs, i wanted to bring over 75tons or three loads. Didnt end up getting one load till December, which will be great for next year. So now I am left selling premium products with thin margins, not that i am complaing! quite the opposite :-)

However, not putting all my eggs in one basket this spring though... so if anyone in the northwest wants to fill bulk trailers for me in April give us a shout! ;-)

Isle of Man, a large chunk of our firewood has to be imported from the mainland. Our forests are all larch and spruce bur because its been sold unseasoned for so long it's got a bad reputation locally.

Plus it's nigh on impossible to get a felling license, god knows who's hand you have to cross with silver!

Buying timber from our forestry board makes me feel violated, all they need is a mask! I can buy cut and split hardwood logs by the ton on the mainland for only £20 more per ton more than I can buy softwood cordwood locally!!! It just makes no sense at all.

I bought and collected every bit of hardwood I could locally all year and its just not enough.

Only thing we are left with now is the KD hardwood. It's expensive and my margin even at £140 a bag is slim but its a superb product.

All our oil fuel products are shipped in so our fuel is more expensive than the mainland. Some of our gas is piped in from Ireland I think.

It's a great place to live so there are some things we have to put up with. Namely the 35miles of water between us and the mainland is going to have an effect on the cost of some items we use.

The number of tons of coal used monthly on our island is staggering, all of which is shipped in.

I am aiming to give people an option and offering alternatives to coal. That said I've just bought 6 tons of columbium trebles.... Lol