Anyone got the Thor Super Magik 18t PTO

Dean Lofthouse

I bought a Mignon 10.5t splitter after using a 20t Practico for a long time and was very dissappointed with the stroke speed.

After 10 minutes use the Mignon has broken down and will not return stroke, I have had a quick look at it and can't see anything obvious, the spool valve is fully returned etc

Anyhow, M Large are very good about it and after I expressed an interest in a brand new 18t Super Magik they offered to allow me every penny I paid for the Mignon against the 18t and pick the duff one up when they drop the new one off.

Before I commit, has anyone got the new version, I have used the old practico and it was the dogs. But I could do with some feedback on the new shape jobby with the auto two speed etc ?

Any feedback appreciated

Buzzsurgeon has one but it's the one before the auto two speed I beleive - does have the system leader on his too.

The auto two speed is more than likely one of those valves I tried explaining before - it'll come out on high flow low pressure, hit the log, stop for a split second while it builds up pressure (if it needs to) and then the valve opens and you get full pressure, lower flow until it can go back to the fast speed again (which is usually just after it's made the initial crack.

Is it another PTO one you're lookign at Dean? As petrol ones are always gonne be slower as they have to have a much lower flow rate, or one of those valves fitted so the fast speed is almost purely a transit setting with the slow speed doing alll the splitting.

On the mignon, it's not something like the stroke length adjuster sticking on something is it?

Yes going back to PTO chris :001_smile:

I have checked the chain and cables. I thought maybe one of the control cables had jumped out of their socket a bit but then I saw that the actual spool valve control lever was fully seated back so it should have been returning.

I understand what you mean about that auto two speed valve, good idea I reckon, I watched a vid on it and it is fast on approach and just after the "crack"

Watch the vid in this link which is the petrol model at the speed of the 2nd speed stroke and the return

Super Magik

Yes going back to PTO chris :001_smile:

Watch the vid in this link which is the petrol model at the speed of the 2nd speed stroke and the return

Super Magik

I should have read the title better :blushing:

Watching that video, I'd be fairly sure that's the 13 tonne version judging by the diameter of the chrome rod on the ram. The PTO 18T one should be a bit quicker than the old Practico was :thumbup1:

I have the 13t magic, its great!!

Very quick and very safe.

With the table on, you have foot peddle to bring the knife down, but with out the force to injure you, you have to put both hands on the leavers for full power.

You will be well pleased, IMO.

• 1 month later...

I was going to buy the Thor 18 ton but on an open day at Fuelwood I got a good deal on a Woodline 16ton which I have had for around 18 months now. Whilst it is a quality splitter it has a serious design fault in that the splitter when travelling up and down easily catches the operating arms bending them up or down frequently. Anyone else have this problem.