Going halves on a chipper - the pitfalls?

TimberCutterDartmoor

I effectively sub ground & chip to my climber and he contract climbs for me; you know the deal.

We are thinking of going halves on a new chipper (keeping the old one - it has its niche).

I went halves with another mate on a trailer in the past and it was a disastrous arrangement but that was due to the fact he was a lazy messy worker who always left the trailer full of crap and expected me to empty it (when using it for our own respective jobs).

I'm nervous and optimistic at the same time; he has always used me for chipping so by half owning it I wonder if my services to him might reduce as such (nice move etc); he says not but I'd value any contributions, especially those based on experience, good or bad.

many thanks...:001_smile:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a pretty good dea lthe other day from the council tree team we use for highway tree works. We borrowed their TW150 DH chipper for a week and at the end of the week they phoned us up as said feel free to keep the chipper we have just bought a new one. It is now our own chipper to use and lend out to the rest of the ranger service. The only trouble is only me and my boss can use it as we are the only ones in the service with tickets.

the chipper idea has no faults, just the individuals that are part of the deal. I would have some VERY black and white ground rules with it. I would make it a seperate business and each person hires it when they use it, so there is no tantrums come service time, the money will be in the pot for it, the more someone has used it, the more they will have paid. And when it comes to selling it, it is still 50/50.

does the ticket include fitting & removing sas wheel clamps !!!!:001_smile:

Haha. Sadly knot. But have learnt my lesson.

1. Remove wheel clamp first before moving chipper back.

2. Don't let the muppet who put the chipper on my finger go anywhere near it when removing wheel clamp.

And most importantly...

3. Quicker reflexes.

The wheel clamp takes about 5 mins to take off n put on as you have to slacken it off with a flat head screw driver which is the time consuming part. Might have to buy a new wheel clamp.

Haha. Sadly knot. But have learnt my lesson.

1. Remove wheel clamp first before moving chipper back.

2. Don't let the muppet who put the chipper on my finger go anywhere near it when removing wheel clamp.

And most importantly...

3. Quicker reflexes.

The wheel clamp takes about 5 mins to take off n put on as you have to slacken it off with a flat head screw driver which is the time consuming part. Might have to buy a new wheel clamp.

used take me less than a minute ,key in,lock out allen key in,loosen ,clamp off,then repeatin reverse, stopped using when insurer said not secure enough :001_tongue:

Haha. The big boss (the one in charge of money) has said that the wheel clamp is a complete ass to remove. He has tried it and it took him about 5-10 mins to remove. We are going for a wheel "bar" system that effectively locks the back tyres together so the chassis acts as part of the locking system. It is locked to the trailer with a 1 inch thick chain and a big hardened steel padlock and it has the barrel lock in the tow hitch.

the chipper idea has no faults, just the individuals that are part of the deal. I would have some VERY black and white ground rules with it. I would make it a seperate business and each person hires it when they use it, so there is no tantrums come service time, the money will be in the pot for it, the more someone has used it, the more they will have paid. And when it comes to selling it, it is still 50/50.

Thanks; this is quality and what I need. :001_cool:

Also, damage report! i would get your hands on the Terms and conditions off a hire company, and do what they do. Both stick £500 in the account as a hire deposit, and then if 1 brings it back with the wheel arch hanging off. the it comes out there share, it isnt wear and tear its neglect.

If you both sign the agreement to start off then the paper work is the rule maker, so no hissy fits, nothing personal. Business! And when it comes to hiring it out, it doesnt matter whos mate it is, or maybe 1 owes someone else a favour, it doesnt matter, money goes in the pot.