Woodland creation from open land

bofh

Thanks for the replies chaps. As I'm sure you're aware, this is all new to me and it's a steep learning curve at the moment. Any advice I can get is a help.

I'm working on a project at the moment to source finance for our purpose. Land purchase is a capital expense that I'd like to avoid at first, if I'm successful then I will be looking to lock up everything I can get my grubby paws on :biggrin:

Therefore I have a small problem, I hope that some of you might be able to help and benefit yourselves along the way. I do like to spread a little happiness when I have it to spare :001_smile:

If you have a parcel of open land, preferably an acre or more but all land will be given consideration. Then I might be in a position to plant the land for you, for free. As I've already mentioned, the aim is to recreate where possible a local woodland historically specific to your location.

That's not to say we would not also consider any ideas you might have yourself regarding species variation.

If you do not own suitable land that meets our criteria but know of a local community woodland creation project, then we may also be able to assist you.

Drop me a pm with your details and if I can help then I will if possible. This is not going to get going in five minutes so please don't get your hopes up too much, but hopefully I'll have a fair idea of any potential early next year.

i have 2 fields, both 2.3 acres that i have planted up in yorkshire. the number one problem has been roe deer damage. i did not use deer guards- just spirals and tubex easy wraps.

tubex easy wraps are possibly the worst tree guard in the world (my opinion) . only use them if the trees are taller than the guards as they struggle to grow out of them. there is no air circulation and they act like an overhot greenhouse.

in hindsight i would go for less trees, but with 1.2m plus guards. i am going to try mesh ones as i think the bigger tubex ones will also have a bit of an adverse effect- although i know they are the most popular.

if you get a grant and some of the trees die you have to pay back the respective money i think.

cheap planting solutions are willow and poplar cuttings (free).

a good tree to plant is wild cherry- fast growing and good timber.

u know, i was about to comment on the same thing but thought tht i shud have peak at everything else first.

I agreee, natural succession (oh aye - google it if ur not sure!) get those sort of facts right in the first. You got that - then you got what a native woodland has 2 b.

Get better advice out there from the private sector i wud say rather than handy job/nice job/good pension civil servants !!!!. Chose your own trees, spacing, future harvesting, design. I wud also throw in some non-native species fro the early years u know, not specifically but like lodgepole done in the early years. blah blah - endless good info out there - but my friend you gotta pay the reddies for the real siht. o aye - woodland trust (ahmm, conservationists/environmentalists) u know what sorta advice u'll get there. always bare i mind woods are multifunctional. money/return (financial is imperative and integral).

I think I get your point duffs, don't worry about others trying to tell me how they want things done, I'm not looking for grant aid for this project so there's not much they can do.

As you say a wood needs to provide an income, I have a number of other interests that I will put into action to hopefully draw my income from, although I won't be able to try those out until I've got my hands on my own land.

Interesting - I always thought of oak as being a climax species, dependent on the ground conditions created by pioneer species such as birch before it.

Birch is a pioneer on bare open ground but it won't germinate where there is any ground cover. I find that in dense self sown birch stands, Oaks struggle to get away.

I always thought Oak was a climax tree and it can behave that way; I suppose it depends which part of the woodland cycle you are in.

Oak has a specific relationship with Jays which always bury acorns on the woodland edge or in large clearings; often well away from the existing woodland and often in grassland, so creating new woods.

The large acorn enables the oak seedling to grow through grass and even has the stored reserves to recover from a nibble or two from animals. Oaks are a very light demanding tree and ideally need lots of space, unless they are grown for timber.

I often wonder why they are such prolific growers from epicormic shoots, after being released from shade, if they are traditionally considered a woodland tree. Interesting subject and still lots to discover I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...