Starting out and free work

Yew

Hi Guys

I'm finishing university this year (Environmental Science). I'm pretty set on getting myself into Arborculture, and the best way i see to do this at the moment is to get my NPTC certifications. Planning on getting my CS30/31 over easter, and then CS38/39 at the beggining of June---and then trying to get some work experience in ASAP. if all goes well i should have enough money at the end of uni to work for free for a few weeks jus to get some experience, to graft and work hard and hopefully get my foot in the door!

i'm just wondering what you guys think of this, how you started out, and whether you think (or even know) someone who would take someone one for free a while. do you reckon its a good plan? its cutting it pretty fine in a way i guess, and taking a risk...but as long as theres a chance then i'm game

anyway, some advice, opinion and all that would be great :thumbup1:

well i'm down in the soutwest at the moment (plymouth). but to be honest as far as it goes in terms of work i'd be pretty flexible when the time comes around in 6 months, as long as i can learn from someone who knows there stuff

alright there mate,, i started off just laboring for the passed 18 months,, you know, chipping, brush dragging,, tool maintanance, clearing up that sort of thing,, as i was working i would watch how the climbers did things and if i didnt know why they were doing somthing i would ask, after working hard for 18 months my governor agreed to take me on as an apprentise through moulton collage, but the key eliment to getting your foot in the door somewere is to work hard, show your dedication for the job, learn the right practises, work saftley being aware of hazards and your surrondings,, and last but not least, be reliable and dont let people down

National trust always look for volunteers. Its a good place to start and you get to meet other volunteers in the same position as you.

Phone up some companies in your area (use yellow pages,google,yell etc) sure a company would take on some free labour for a while. We wouldbut you're the otherside of the country.

As long as your willing to learn fast and get stuck in you will be ok. Listen to the guys with experience you can learn alot.

What was the Environmental Studies thing about at Uni - is it relevant to Arboriculture? or was your time at Uni wasted through studying a degree that has no relevance to your desire to do tree work?

i wouldnt say it was wasted time, and i guess you adapt your ideas of what you want to do as you go along. i guess it isnt relavant directly, although some stuff is (identification, ecolcogy, disease recognition) and at least provides some sort of base..?

definely agree with what your saying about stuck in e.t.c

cant expect anything on a plate for sure, makes it all the sweeter in the long run if you put the work in and made it happen.

Tully:thats pretty much been my line of thought, been looking at companys dwon here in devon/cornwall and pembrokshire mainly (good rockclimbing :lol: ) . the only worry would be ending up working for someone who hasnt got there *hit together/cowboy. i'm in a good spot in alot of ways, as i can my tickets together and have a month or two of grace over the summer where i can some experience in before the last of my ££ is gone

its intersting to as the question on the degree as well, so many people have got em that theyve kind of lost there value--my mates who went into trades e.t.c are doing well for themselves..and good on them..i think in the future more people will do the same and i thinks its a good thing

i wouldnt say it was wasted time, and i guess you adapt your ideas of what you want to do as you go along. i guess it isnt relavant directly, although some stuff is (identification, ecolcogy, disease recognition) and at least provides some sort of base..?

good luck with your job search mate, you dont need to explain yourself to anyone on here :thumbup1: