Wood chipper test

Tom2020

I did a two day LANTRA Chipper refresher a few months back. The chipper hadn't been used since the winter. I did the refresher in July . We did all the checks to makesure nothing was nesting in it. And as far as we were aware nothing as until we turned the engine over. We had a massive wasp nest in the exhaust. Everyone got stung as the wasps came out almost all in one hit.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a two day LANTRA Chipper refresher a few months back. The chipper hadn't been used since the winter. I did the refresher in July . We did all the checks to makesure nothing was nesting in it. And as far as we were aware nothing as until we turned the engine over. We had a massive wasp nest in the exhaust. Everyone got stung as the wasps came out almost all in one hit.

Brilliant!

A question thou...

If it was a refresher, I guess you are experianced, and even already have a ticket.

How did you find the training over two days?, was the length of the course ok, or did it drag on a bit? (I guess the wasps would have slowed things up a bit).

Did your instuctor run out of stuff to talk about at about 11am on day 2? or was it 2 short days?

Awaiting your views with interest :001_smile:

I did a LANTRA Chipper qual when i was at Kingston Maurward 4 years ago. We do refreshers every now and then to keep our tickets up to date. On day one we talked about maintenance and we were shown how it works. And did a bit of branch chipping. One day two we did half a day talking about No stress feeders and each put a 7.5 inch thick branch through to see what the instructor meant. We had our test at the end of day two which was rather easy as it was just basically talking about the chipper. How its works, Safety features, etc. And then put 10 branches through of varying lengths that were directly in front of the feed chute. I passed with flying colours as did my colleague.

Ok then

1.Prepare material for chipping

Theres 3 answers for that

2.convert to transport position.

3 for that

3.Demostrate knowledge of matintenance of the cutting system

10 for that

4.Check wood chipper is in stable condition

18 for that one

5.Demostrate knowledge of problems with noise from the machine and how to reduce the effect

10 for that

Best of luck and thats the easy ones

Christ. My questions were:

1. How do you stack the material? and Where do you stack it?

2. How would you transport this chipper? And how would you transport a tracked chipper?

3. What is the difference between gravity fed, hydraulic feed and draw feed chippers?

4. Check all H+S devices and make sure they work.

5. If you hear a tapping/rattling sound coming from the engine/flywheel housing. What action would you take?

Easy answers but it was a LANTRA Refresher.

• 2 weeks later...

My chipper test consisted of-

Turn up for work one morning, boss sais meet a chap up in the yard at 10, no reason why???

Went up, bloke sais fill out the yellow test application form. pointed to a chipper, sais tell me about the safety features, stick some brash through, switch it off.

Passed 100%. So yeah, the system realy works..........

My chipper test consisted of-

Turn up for work one morning, boss sais meet a chap up in the yard at 10, no reason why???

Went up, bloke sais fill out the yellow test application form. pointed to a chipper, sais tell me about the safety features, stick some brash through, switch it off.

Passed 100%. So yeah, the system realy works..........

How long ago was this, John? Was it for the NPTC Certificate?