Works Vehicle for accessing the woods

Mattsnaturalrivers

what's wrong with a hilux?

with 6k to spend you'd get a mk5 onwards (2003 on) which have the d4d engine that gives 35-40 mpg, probably less when towing but that's going to be the case with any truck.

have a look on hpoc.co.uk (hilux pickup owners club). you'll get a lot more general info in the forums.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diesel landies aren't that bad on fuel at all, and you have the advantage of being able to tow a lot more with a landy.

As standard they'll also be more than capable of anything you'll throw at it offroad in the environment you'll be in. With the exception of possibly some A/T or M/T tyres, but that goes for any offroad vehicle.

You'll be hard pressed to find a pickup that will drive offroad as effortlessly as a landy, the suspension and weight distribution just doesn't allow for it. You can always give them a bit more right foot though, usually does the trick.

Saying that, I'd still go for a hilux. I ditched my landy for one two years ago and haven't looked back. But mine's a Mk3, highly modded for offroad use :D

what's wrong with a hilux?

Whats RIGHT with a hilux:lol:.....as a 4x4 they are a compromise- in the wet they slide around for a past time unladen. They are 2wd half the time too!! The old ones, although quite agricultural, were useless for carrying, useless for towing, uneconomical and rusted faster than a rusty thing. I had one, I know. They arent any more reliable than any other 4x4, unless you only use them well within their capabilities. The new ones seem better on paper- however, they are fitting them with massive engines, yet they still have no real ability to tow or carry to speak of, and from what i have been told, they are having reliability issues- at least the old ones kept going. They were designed in a country where there is no mud!! And dont start me on the ridiculous styling:001_rolleyes:. They are little more than a car IMO.

You did ask.:blushing::biggrin:

Whats RIGHT with a hilux:lol:.....as a 4x4 they are a compromise- in the wet they slide around for a past time unladen. They are 2wd half the time too!! The old ones, although quite agricultural, were useless for carrying, useless for towing, uneconomical and rusted faster than a rusty thing. I had one, I know. They arent any more reliable than any other 4x4, unless you only use them well within their capabilities. The new ones seem better on paper- however, they are fitting them with massive engines, yet they still have no real ability to tow or carry to speak of, and from what i have been told, they are having reliability issues- at least the old ones kept going. They were designed in a country where there is no mud!! And dont start me on the ridiculous styling:001_rolleyes:. They are little more than a car IMO.

You did ask.:blushing::biggrin:

ANY 4x4 is only driven by 1 or two wheels unless your center diff is locked (or you engage the front prop). And even then, you're only guaranteed that one wheel from each axle will spin. Unless you have lockers in the axles. Which doesn't come as standard on a landy, however it does on a lot of the pickups, to compensate for the lack of weight over the rear end and suspension flex.

If a hilux (a pickup, with a pickup bed) has no ability to carry, then what can?!

They may not be able to LEGALLY tow as much weight as a 4x4 with a centre diff (all time 4wd), but then neither can any pickup.

I've towed a broken down double decker with mine. Granted it was only up a road so it wasn't in the way, but it still managed it.

There's no point in just slating something for the sake of it. That's not constructive.

If the guy's after a pickup, the hilux is about the best you can get all round. Navaras have head issues, L200s are okay but nothing feels as solid as a hilux.

A Landy would ideally be better offroad because that's what they were specifically designed for, and you have the option of many different styles including a crewcab pickup.

ANY 4x4 is only driven by 1 or two wheels unless your center diff is locked (or you engage the front prop). And even then, you're only guaranteed that one wheel from each axle will spin. Unless you have lockers in the axles. Which doesn't come as standard on a landy, however it does on a lot of the pickups, to compensate for the lack of weight over the rear end and suspension flex.

If a hilux (a pickup, with a pickup bed) has no ability to carry, then what can?!

They may not be able to LEGALLY tow as much weight as a 4x4 with a centre diff (all time 4wd), but then neither can any pickup.

I've towed a broken down double decker with mine. Granted it was only up a road so it wasn't in the way, but it still managed it.

There's no point in just slating something for the sake of it. That's not constructive.

If the guy's after a pickup, the hilux is about the best you can get all round. Navaras have head issues, L200s are okay but nothing feels as solid as a hilux.

A Landy would ideally be better offroad because that's what they were specifically designed for, and you have the option of many different styles including a crewcab pickup.

Okay sean, you know what i was on about with the permanent 4x4 thing, and yes you are tecnically correct, but the set up on switchable 2 or 4 wheel drive vehicles means that those that arent permanent 4x4 are limited in their set up, and BTW are also designed primarily for ON road use. As far as engaging the second (front) prop, on defenders, toyota landcruisers and possibly others this is permanently engaged, and a centre diff and hi-lo range are controlled by the small lever (although i suspect you know this:sneaky2:)

In response to you second hair splitting paragraph, you know perfectly well that when i say it has no ability to carry, i mean that for something the size and power of a hilux, its carrying capacity is woeful. Mine couldnt even legally carry a ton, and as for towing, you are in agreement anyway- they cannot tow very much.

I am sorry you think that i am slating toyotas for the sake of it. You couldnt be further from the truth. This is a forum where people can express their views. A question was asked, and I expressed my views, that are formed from experience not opinion by the way.

I still disagree that the hilux is the best all round. However i look at it, I faiul to agree with you. It isnt endowed with any more seting than any other 4x4s, and less than some. It doesnt have ability to tow as much as others, it cant carry as much as others, it wont last as long as others, it wont keep its value as long as others, and it isnt any more comfortable (IMO) than others, including a defender IMO (although i accept that many people find defenders very uncomfortable.)

I would have a toyota landcruiser based pick up over a defender any day, but i would never touch another Hilux again. I bent mine, it rusted like hell, had endless electrical problems, and the delaers/ customer service worse than atrocious.

You say no pick up can tow as much as a 4x4 with permanent drive to both axles.....what is a truck cab defender if not a pick up, or a high capacity pick up land rover.

Once again I repeat- i was expressing an opinion based on my experience (which is not limited to one vehicle btw) in response to a question.:001_smile:

Okay fair point tom, I admit my response was a bit over the top.

I do apologise :blushing:

I'll just rephrase then - from my experience I've found toyotas to be the most reliable and comfortable compared to Navaras and L200s. Not had much experience with rangers but the rear seat in the xtra cab version is painful.

I'd recommend a landy anyway. 130 is very long and some turns in woodland will be tight, but you'll get a very decent sized bed AND a double cab out of it. Or you could go for a 110 as they're easier to find, then you could have a double cab and have a smaller pickup bed but it'll be about the size of the boot of a discovery (roughly).