samson tenex

John Shutler

after a brief conversation with pete mcsheffery at the aa show about the above hitch cord,and his dislike due to it not having a core and because of this the chance of it failing on quick desents i have been wondering...

has anybody had any experience of this.

i have been climbing using this cord for a while and the idea never crossed my mind

cheers

john

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was recomended to me by proclimber.

i think with all these things you do have to be carefull.long high speed desents on many hitch cords will burn hand and rope

Yes, they love that stuff. It is very easy to splice, and i use it for plenty of other things, but not friction hitches. There are so many better products on the market for that application.

I dont have any concerns regarding the safety of using it as a hitchcord. If you can burn that stuff out to the point of it losing its strength then you probably should find a safer job.

If you are using spliced cords then make sure that it is spliced to the manufactorers recommendations. Spliced eye and eye slings for hitches can be too short in the bury, this is done to avoid a long stiff section above the eye. Of course if you use a hitchclimber then this is actually quite beneficial.

I've used Tenex but did'nt get on with it, but my understanding is it makes the alomost perfect hitch cord, its super strong stronger than most other friction cords. Uses polyester like many other cords so has same melting point.

Its main benifit is its flexibility and the way it sqaures off providing maximum contact with your climbing line alomost like using a flat tape.

Having said that it was one of the reasons i did'nt like it - to much bite.

It handles differently, understand it and get used to it and it is a very good cord.