Ground work

davey_b

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No body has an issue with a home owner asking advice but this is the very basics. As Pro's we pay insurance some of which is based on the number of incidents from chainsaw use (not just Pro use) and home owners without even the most basic knowledge are a severe risk to our insurance premiums.

There are training courses available that will teach you these basic skills (NPTC CS30 and 31 courses) and will hopefully make you safer, alternatively contact someone local to you and ask for a lesson in exchange for a bit of free labour.

Stay safe!!!

Kev

hello there no dont scarper. i am completley new to this i have got myself a job as a trainee groundsman. *i start tomorrow and nervous but excitied. i have never handled a chain saw before and have only helped drag fallen limbs out of the way. something some one told me

if you dont know ask

if you dont understand the answer ask again.

good luck safe cutting and hope all goes well:thumbup:

All are welcome in here, and at least by stating your level of competence with a saw we can advise you (which is what you are after anyway) Just remember, saws cut flesh quicker than wood, boiler suits dont stop saws. But cross-cutting is fairly basic stuff, check your footing, click on the chainbrake when you're not cutting or better still turn off the saw. Keep your workspace clear of debris, and ring the trunk as described above. Dont rush, and concentrate on the job in hand. When you've finished cutting, come back on here and let us know you're still in one piece.

Hi Dave

A big welcome to Arbtalk you are more then welcome to ask as meny questions as you like. Newbys are allways welcome and most of us will try to make you feel at home and welcome and put you at ease . You have come to the right place .

You have done really well if you have got as far geting it to the ground . if you are just a land owner and not going to use chainsaw in a pro feild then your best bet is to ring up one of the local tree companys and just ask them how much it would be for them to give you a cuple of hours of training you could also offer them to do a bit of ground work for free for them too. It may take a couple of calls but I reckon you will get someone willing after a few calls

The courses are excellent but if work out very expensive unless you are going to use it in your job .its a difficult one If you have masses of land and loads of trees to come down then cs30/31 would see you right and keep you safe and would be worth it as then you would have all the pratice you need . you can even offer the your local training center the use of your land for the course you may even get a discount for the venue. :thumbup:

If your trunk is on the gournd then all of the other posts should see you right in getting it chopped up ok .

All the best and good luck

Thanks Littletree:thumbup::thumbup:

hello there no dont scarper. i am completley new to this i have got myself a job as a trainee groundsman. *i start tomorrow and nervous but excitied. i have never handled a chain saw before and have only helped drag fallen limbs out of the way. something some one told me

if you dont know ask

if you dont understand the answer ask again.

good luck safe cutting and hope all goes well:thumbup:

Hi dmclimber good luck with your new job . you will have a great time and you will learn so much and make some great friends along the way .

Some tips for you for day one .

Take some good water proofs that will fit over the chainsaw trousers and a water proof light jacket.

Take pleanty to DRINK between a min of 2Lt of it you will be really glad you did

Ware a thin wickeing like HH or odlow base layer then a regular T shirt over the top and then a fleece over that, the fleece will come off as soon as you start dragging your fist branches you will be really hot even if there is snow all over the ground but when you stop you will want your fleece again very quickly ..

Take some sticky rubber plamed gloves or any gloves you have for the first day . some companys will hand these out others dont .

Take a dry set of clothes for after the day is done if you have gotton soaked then you will have something to change into when you are done .

Good luck and enjoy your new job you will love it what ever the weather . :thumbup:

let us all know how you got on

Its one of the best moves you will have ever made

All the best Littletree