Airspading a planting pit - The Dogs danglies?

David Humphries

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is "they" and "them"? :D You know you should really wear two layers of foil to stop the CIA using their satellite to read your mind...

You're right of course - you can plant a tree in the wrong place without an airspade. However, you might not be so inclined to delude yourself into thinking that its a good idea just because you used one. :D

They being the establishment, the academics who study 10 trees in ten holes and deduce they have the answer to life the universe and everything!

Who be this "Dave" punter you talk of ?.

I did cringe when he say it!

Tony, DAVID hates being called dave!":lol:

Tony - either you fundamentally misunderstand science and its associated academia or you deliberatley misrepresent it to lower your cognitive dissonance. In any case, its extremely frustrating! :D

David - apologies for the over-colloquialisation of your name.

FTR airspading is probably a good idea but I don't know of anyone commercially using it for this purpose. I think its probably prohibitively expensive to implement.

Mmmm...Good point Mr S ( I cant call you Tony now can I? Id know what I meant, but Tony would be none the wiser...Oh dear!)

This has/is/was a topic of interest at Barchams recently . Im sure it continues to be . Not strictly the remit of the upcoming BS re:nursery production I understand. Or does that misrepresent the BS ?

Planting pit spec, aftercare and establishment potentially wastes so much of the effort of production if it is mishandled or ignored.; not to mention money!

Eye opener there...thanks Monkey-D! I think i have to spped up things for my homemade airspade...talked to a guy who made his a couple of years ago. Apparently its the "Mother... of all..." airspade:thumbup: He blasts some serious amounts of soil with it and no rootdamage.... I could well blast a few planting pits while Im at it:biggrin:

Definatly do the sides in a planting pit whenever a tree spade is beeing used would be beneficia.

Bringing things back to my level way down here it's so good to see the minimal staking forcing the roots - as you say yourself DavID - to work for a living. How often I see decent young trees forced into motionless bondage that almost does away with the need for the tree to support itself.

You'd get circling roots in square/triangular/concave decagon pots if you left them long enough - its not the shape, its the time the tree spends in it...

But we need to assume that the tree has perfect roots as it came from Barchams - and they have carefully grown the tree to prevent the above happening.

Air spade a few tree roots planted next to sharp angle and you'll see they "go random" when they come up against a corner. When they come up against a circle wall they just "keep on running" I think that's the science behind it (not my science I should add).

I should point out that I'll still probably be using a slighlty modified but similar planting technique this season as I used last season - the more traditional approach - and I still think easing the compaction around a tree pit is good practice and has got to help.

Tony - either you fundamentally misunderstand science and its associated academia or you deliberatley misrepresent it to lower your cognitive dissonance. In any case, its extremely frustrating! :D

as with most aco's you speak in tounges:001_tt2: no i dont understand the academic/scientific community, but then many of the finest scientists also didnt understand the "community" they still went on to do some of the best science that is as relevent today as it was when it was produced/discovered.

So enlighten me, of the science behind the notion, where was the paper that made it common knowledge that trees need square holes in order to root without girdling?

I wonder what they say about wild trees with girdling roots too?

I would say with conviction, the number one cause of plantings going girdle is due to a lack of the planter not freeing the pot bound roots, and very little to do with hole shape