What to do...?

Dan76

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice/thoughts......what would folk do when asked by a customer "to quote to include taking some for firewood"? Its an oak that is approx 5ft diam. at the base, approx 45ft high

Would it be a price per estimated ton off for the amount I would want?:confused1:

I know its a bit vague but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers.

The customer will keep some firewood for themselves, but I think they are looking to recoup some of the cost by selling the wood for firewood, basically I think they are looking for a reduced quote if I take a quantity for myself.

I was asked a few times to reduce the bill for the firewood. My usual response was "I'll reduce the price to leave it all here" Because by the time you have cut it, carted it, converted it and delivered it - you could well be out of pocket!

i keep getting asked to do this for windblown stuff. i'm not really into treework i just have a tractor & processor & splitter which I use at home but thought a while back i could make money from going out on hire. (i'm in construction as a profession so making money on hire is what i do.)

to be honest its a nightmare money wise your in a lose lose situation. only way to do it is give them a day rate and make sure you price in everything (labour, plant, materials). if they think its too much then let them carry on with their axe.

only prob with a day rate is that they will always want to know how long you think it will take and i'm afraid thats something that only you wil know, based on your set up and your abilities.

what you want to do is give the day rate for processing first, then quote to take the tree down, and include a rate to dispose of the timber. they wont like it, but at the end of the day its a waste product if they have no use for it and if firewood is not your main line of work. if you do get away with charging to dispose of it, you at least get to process it in your own time, for beer tokens.

this opinion may hit a nerve with some people but theres no point doing jobs just to lose money you have to be realistic. if you dont want to turn the work down and want at least some cash out of it then just price dropping the tree as competitively as you can, at least it shows your willing. people just dont understand firewood production.

good luck anyway!

The customer will keep some firewood for themselves, but I think they are looking to recoup some of the cost by selling the wood for firewood, basically I think they are looking for a reduced quote if I take a quantity for myself.

logs are a perk of the job sometimes, esp if you have the ability to process them etc ans sell on.... don't forget time etc resources to process and delivery time after etc..... don't have the wool pulled over your eyes, they must think you came down with the last shower :001_rolleyes: