General Tree pics

Andy Collins

Just clearing outan SD card and found these from my phone.

1st lot is of an emergency Oak job I did in Sept last year.

A little bit of history on the job, I reduce this along with Q by 30% 3 years earlier and installed a 4t cobra brace, we intially applied to fell it due to the poor union Council refused and instead reccomend the works we carried out.

When I arrived one third of the crown had split out at Trifurcation point some 8m's up luckly only some minor damage to the fence, the cobra brace holding the remaining 2 stems was under tension and holding the rest of the crown up the split almost reached the ground. We had our 15m platform on site but it was way to short for this 24'ish meter tree so I braced the hell out of it with mucho ratchets and climbed it.

Respect not many would have climbed it!!

Respect not many would have climbed it!!

Would of needed something like a 24m Teupen to do this tree viably, a 15m platform only give you 10ish meters taking into account the base of the machine being out the drop zone.

After installing the ratchets I felt it was ok to carry on, any doubt I would not of done it, I have not got balls of steel I am a very steady cautious climber who is **** scared of heights and falling.

Follow on from yesterday's pics. Took out the side nearest the house with the cherry pciker as we deemed it too dodgy to do from the tree. Peeled out the roadside from within the tree in reasonably large chunks as the wind had started to get back up and the movement in the fracture was starting to cause a little bit of movement in the bottom department. All done and dusted by the end of the day though. Only one small casualty and that was 4 fence pailings.

59765f9690bf1_2012-02-01001008.jpg.ca26a0b86ba62b5b0b062c009e2fc6cc.jpg

59765f968c61b_2012-02-01001006.jpg.4747adc898b9a1680ee4fcef6ffa87ef.jpg

59765f96872b7_2012-02-01001004.jpg.230cb8739453a4da01cb03654365fd97.jpg

59765f9680592_2012-02-01001003.jpg.a8e35b85d29032f2dc274eccb0e64e88.jpg

59765f967afa2_2012-02-01001001.jpg.e644f2626e51d852ca23d40bf5e1c62e.jpg

Two rakes Adam but the guys trained in raking were obviously not trained to degree standards, only national cert. On job rake training will continue. To be fair, it was blowing pretty well by the end of the day so we were starting to chase a bit and this IS Turangi after all where a bit of sawdust is just good fertiliser for the grass.

Council does have a HiaB but we biffed the wood over the fence for the neighbour. Wood never goes to waste in Turangi and the locals are always keen for as much as they can get. It usually costs them coffee and stickies though :biggrin:

Two rakes Adam but the guys trained in raking were obviously not trained to degree standards, only national cert. On job rake training will continue. To be fair, it was blowing pretty well by the end of the day so we were starting to chase a bit and this IS Turangi after all where a bit of sawdust is just good fertiliser for the grass.

Council does have a HiaB but we biffed the wood over the fence for the neighbour. Wood never goes to waste in Turangi and the locals are always keen for as much as they can get. It usually costs them coffee and stickies though :biggrin:

Fair enough,There is a technique to raking,keep at it.