General Tree pics

Andy Collins

If you leave a tree to grow out of shape its nature is to follow the light in turn it can lead to a one sided over balenced tree they do not self balance.

This is not true - the guru Mattheck describes trees as 'self-optimizing mechanical structures' - i.e. they adapt their shape according to environment and stress factors to maintain the strongest structure possible.

Easily demonstrated if you take a very young tree and prop it so it leans to one side. In a short space of time the leader will grow in the opposite direction to the lean and then right itself to grow vertically.

As far as I can see, trees only become imbalanced through the loss of a major limb/sub-stem or through root-plate movement.

This is not true - the guru Mattheck describes trees as 'self-optimizing mechanical structures' - i.e. they adapt their shape according to environment and stress factors to maintain the strongest structure possible.

Easily demonstrated if you take a very young tree and prop it so it leans to one side. In a short space of time the leader will grow in the opposite direction to the lean and then right itself to grow vertically.

As far as I can see, trees only become imbalanced through the loss of a major limb/sub-stem or through root-plate movement.

Trees grow where ever there is sunlight fact the leader follows the light lay a tree down young and the leader will grow up what ever or a side branch will take over and become a leader.

Trees dont think there genetically programmed through thousands of years based on previous enviroments.

There programmed to the equivalent of our own automatic reactions we sometimes react to things with out our mind controlling us like when you burn your self well trees follows this.

This is why there are so many species different enviroments have produced trees to survive.

Trees are automatic they do not think there still cellular organisms. They react in a preset mannor to all eventualities.

If you leave a tree to grow out of shape its nature is to follow the light in turn it can lead to a one sided over balenced tree they do not self balance.

When this happens limbs can break away from the tree resulting in infection and inevitabily death.

That is what I would call psuedoscientific scaremongering.

It is not true.

'slope the cut leading away from the bud so when it rains the water runs away from the bud.'

???

Do buds dissolve in water or something? Thats not the real reason for the cut angle mate but i assume that, being a tree surgeon, you know that.

Yes if rain builds up ontop of a cut it rots the wood you should know this or are you saying thats not right. I have come across many pollarded trees with severve rot due to flat top cuts.

read a book mate its exactly why sloping cuts are made.

That is what I would call psuedoscientific scaremongering.

It is not true.

Oh i guess trees think for them selfs do you understand cellular biology.

How can you say a tree is not genetically programmed to respond to its enviroment.

They are cells by design they multiply. Its not scaremongering at all its fact.

Please explain how this is not correct. My old science biology teacher would love this conversation

I done a tree last week that had massive weighty limbs one side and tiny ones the other it had a clear lean which worried the customer also mounding at the base. So are you saying i should have said to my customer dont worry about the conservatory the tree will sort itsself out lol.

Name a book that says rain causes 'rot'.

I always thought it was tissue death followed by fungal and bacteria digestion of cellulose, hemi-cellulose and eventually lignin.

Sloping cuts are an attempt to anticipate the branch protection zone to avoid unecessary cambial death.

Durrr.