£300 fine or £180 if paid within ten days.

Mick Stockbridge

Isn't this the sort of issue that the Arb Association should be addressing on our industry's behalf with the EA?

How can it be waste if people are willing to pay to have it tipped on their gardens? Some councils around here pay reasonable money for clean chip. Doesn't this make woodchip, as the very least, a recycled product?

We don't take it to landfill, do we?

Idiots.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found an interesting section on the EA website - Environment Agency v Armstrong Environmental Services Ltd: Timber waste to wood chip is exempt from waste licensing regime. [Restricted]

At a hearing of the Administrative Court on 22 March 2005 it was held that the conversion of timber waste into wood chip was a manufacture from waste into a timber product and therefore exempt under the waste management licensing regime.

Could it not be said that the brash was waste from the manufacture of log/timber and by converting it to chip you were making it into a timber product and as stated above exempt under the waste management licensing regime?

Blimey 61 posts in and you're all going on about the wcl. This thread was only intended to warn people that the EA can and will fine people for not having a transfer notice.

You can argue all you like to the EA, infact twenty years ago I'd of done the same thing but as the years roll by I'm getting a bit mellow so these days I just can't be bothered.......Good luck with trying to change things and if you do manage it and I benefit from it then I'll make a fat donation to Arbtalk....:thumbup1:

Found an interesting section on the EA website - Environment Agency v Armstrong Environmental Services Ltd: Timber waste to wood chip is exempt from waste licensing regime. [Restricted]

At a hearing of the Administrative Court on 22 March 2005 it was held that the conversion of timber waste into wood chip was a manufacture from waste into a timber product and therefore exempt under the waste management licensing regime.

Could it not be said that the brash was waste from the manufacture of log/timber and by converting it to chip you were making it into a timber product and as stated above exempt under the waste management licensing regime?

Might have a look for this and carry a laminated copy of it in the vans - I like the the direction this is taking:thumbup1:

Good luck with trying to change things and if you do manage it and I benefit from it then I'll make a fat donation to Arbtalk....

Good man Mick :thumbup1:

I was going to suggest that if someone did get a pull and decided to take it to court that we as an industry should support that person via donations towards the costs

I am not bowing down and will go to court when the time comes, but I intend to arm myself with all the information carrying it in the vehicle.

If the EA officail waves me on because he cant be @arsed I will ask who his superiors are and write to them

This needs clearing up once and for all

I would gladly pay substantial costs to get it sorted if that is the only way

I have got paperwork in my sunvisor ready :thumbup1:

like so many of these government organizations, they mean well but ultimately its pencil jockeys with very little grasp of the real material world who get to run the show. Microsoft makes making forms child's play and the more forms punched out by offices that the staff in them can show are being filled, the more secure thier jobs are. The size of mail bag is crucial to all gov departments as it shows they are important and should command bigger budgets.....I know I used to work in one. Its 'yes minister' all over.

Seriously though I think my earlier post with that court case could be a direction worth looking at. The environment agency site is stuffed full of pressure articles to use chippings. So if they are going to be used in one form or another, what ever that may be, it is my argument that until they go for landfill the stuff is not waste and so how can it be treated as such.

Why dont we get tangling with the pencil jockeys by bombarding them with letters outlining the double standards they willingly show on thier own website.

Hi All

Im amazed at thiss thread, and i know there have been similar ones. With regard to the quote about the AA trying to do somthing about this......

The simple answer is yep they have, i was envolved with a group when this firts reared its head many moons ago trying to get clarity..... The Aproved Contractor pannel have also been trying for many years to get clarity and also fighting for exemption on wood chip and log.

They have also sought to get clarity on what 'virgin timber is or is not. to some greater or lesser sucsess, and that has all been through the centeral policy unit, as it seems differant offices have difefrant takess on it. And currently they are trying to get some resolve over the WTN issue.

that having been said, lets turn this argument on its head.

At some point or other most people on here have moaned/slated/critised/sworne about the'*****, jipo, cowboy, new boy with old gear and no idear, the quick profit and run, fly tipping, tax dodging scum' you know the sort of thing.

given that we all feel it should be a level playing feild, and given that we all accept that even wood chip if stored in the wrong place in too large amounts can caus damage/ harm how would YOU go about controlling the movment of waste, and how would you make a clear definition of what was waste and what was not????

While i simpathise, it is not always as easy to controll an issue but it is easy to complain.

your thought and recomendations to government are welclome

kev

aka arbocop

Kev

My take on Mikes comments are that he is warning us as to what could happen which is "fore warned is fore armed"

With reguard to turning things on their head - Govt should have taken advice from industry before it implements new laws. Having to re-negoiate after implementation is what wastes time money and effort. (and keeps civil servants in jobs) That's what annoys people.

These type of laws and regulations are often passed by the ill-informed.

My money is still on a test case - Dean is looking favourite at the moment!

your thought and recomendations to government are welclome

kev

aka arbocop

My thought : Catch the flytippers flytipping, dont penalise everyone during a 5 day working week by pulling us over and hassling us. Go out on a weekend and evening into the laybys, flytipping spots and actually catch them at it and make an example of them. If they are gypo's dont turn the other cheek, prosectue them instead of walking away from them because its too much hassle.

Oh and Tree Surgery arisings are a commodity, not a waste