Yep! Rope twist!

tockmal

Its surprising how many people don't know about the long cut down the stem to peel off ivy in one go. Doesn't always work though as some ivy is welded onto the trees.

alo if youyr doing ivy removal customers get a bit knarked at chainsaw grooves own the trunk of their new skinny tree :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alo if youyr doing ivy removal customers get a bit knarked at chainsaw grooves own the trunk of their new skinny tree :D

You obviously never heard of a 'sap run' then? Another astounding idea from the people that brought us the atrocious 'coronet cut'.

A sap run are created by running your saw down the stem to create a sap flow that attracts bugs, which in turn attracts the birdies and bats.

You can add 'sap run' to your vocabulary of arboriculture . :smokin:

Tockmal, ever had a problem with those steel thimbles in the eye of your rigging lines, like them twisting and damaging the rope?

Yes,

I don't like them, notice in the pic how it is slightly warped, pushing out to the left at the top pointed end, the metal is actually digging into the rope damaging it. It needs to be cut off.

twist2-47thk3w77.jpg

A fortnight ago, I met the guy who brought us the coronet cut. Roy Finch.

Define atrocious...

Tony,

Did Roy Finch take the time to consider the safety implications for a climber when performing a coronet cut from a rope and harness. I have done them in the past from rope and harness at varying heights...from 15ft to 75ft....using every kind of saw from a Ms200t to a Ms460.

I will never do them again from a rope and harness.

Coronets cuts from a bucket truck/platform FINE! I don't have an issue with that, but I definatley have an issue with performing coronet cuts from a rope and harness.

Coronet cuts from a rope and harness.........??

You are making an already dangerous job(tree surgery) more dangerous, by making all these awkward cuts....against the grain, you are multiplying the risk of injury to the climber. For what exactly? So that a few natural heritage types can cream their pants at the thought of some pathogens and fungi entering the wood to create a more diverse natural habitat??

Or, is it to imitate storm damage creating a more aesthetically pleasing view for the punters as they ramble their way through the British countryside??

I grant you, Roy wasn't too fussed about the cuts being made from a rope and harness.

He was using explosives. :)

I too have done large and small, high and low. It's all in the work positioning.

From a good work position there is no reason why a competent climber cannot produce good coronet cuts safely. The vibration and HAVS is what'll get you long before any kickback or rope slicing. So we've taken that into account in our generic risk assessment and H & S policy HAVS screenings.

If I spec a coronet on large diameter timber, I add a recommendation that the work be carried out from a MEWP. If the contractor can't be arsed to get one in, not my problem.

As for the bugs and the aesthetic. If they mean so little why not refuse ALL coronet cuts???