Oregon Powersharp

davey_b

I bought one earlier this week from Jonesie to make a 'dirty little whore saw' (copywrite Mark Bolam) for stumping conifers etc. It's good and does as expected provided you are cutting less than the bar length or don't want to use the nose for cutting roots. Once the bar starts to curve at the nose it does not like cutting at all. Vibration is much greater than a 'proper' chain but sharpening is really only a 60 second job even after stumping out conifers.

All in all, it does what it was bought to do but as expected does in no way give the performance of a standard chain for normal cutting.

Kev

It's aimed at the domestic market, but so far this week I've sold over 15 to the Pro market as it has it's place there as well.

It needs to be seen to appreciate how quick it is. I have been demonstrating it this week by running the chain on the concrete floor of the workshop, 5 seconds sharpening and its back in the wood.:thumbup:

Be quick though if you have a Stihl as we and most other dealers will be sold out by this time next week and the next batch won't arrive until January.:scared1:

I want one for my 455 rancher..... :angry: I'm away to throw a tantrum... hate filing! :mad1:

I want one for my 455 rancher..... :angry: I'm away to throw a tantrum... hate filing! :mad1:

Filing is good for the soul :001_smile:

There is great satisfaction in the feel of a razor sharp saw, thats down to you!!

If you persevere, you will develop the muscle memory that make sharpening a chain a few minuets of a job :001_smile:

Some years ago McCullock brought out a self sharpen chainsaw. It was a small top handled saw as I remember. But it was removed from service because the chain design promoted kick back. I'm wondering whether the PowerSharp will have similar attributes?

Hi

I worked for McCulloch for 12 years and have experience of the series 80 chain you mention, i have worked for Oregon for the past nearly 9 years and am one of the area managers launching Powersharp so i would like to answer your question.

Series 80 chain had a different design tooth to Powersharp and very little raker and bumper link link compared to Powersharp. When i first heard about it i thought it was a re launch, in the factory in Portland back in January we all examined, used and saw it being made, the inventor showed us how he overcame the problems that the earlier chain had and what had made it successful. The test trials were carried out over a long time in all types of application and the results showed that they had got it right.

The tooth is different with a strengthed twist and different cutting faces, the double bumper link gives very good anti kick back results and the narrow nose bar further reduces kick back.

The secret is the Diamond dresser which profiles the chain grinder stone to keep the angles correct and give the rakers a touch up in the process.

In the first 3 months of sales since launch we have exhausted stocks of Powersharp Worldwide as it has taken off.

I have used 5 chains complete from start to finish and can say it does what it says on the tin.

Go to your nearest dealer and try it for yourself.

Regards

Les

Oregon

Hi

I worked for McCulloch for 12 years and have experience of the series 80 chain you mention, i have worked for Oregon for the past nearly 9 years and am one of the area managers launching Powersharp so i would like to answer your question.

Series 80 chain had a different design tooth to Powersharp and very little raker and bumper link link compared to Powersharp. When i first heard about it i thought it was a re launch, in the factory in Portland back in January we all examined, used and saw it being made, the inventor showed us how he overcame the problems that the earlier chain had and what had made it successful. The test trials were carried out over a long time in all types of application and the results showed that they had got it right.

The tooth is different with a strengthed twist and different cutting faces, the double bumper link gives very good anti kick back results and the narrow nose bar further reduces kick back.

The secret is the Diamond dresser which profiles the chain grinder stone to keep the angles correct and give the rakers a touch up in the process.

In the first 3 months of sales since launch we have exhausted stocks of Powersharp Worldwide as it has taken off.

I have used 5 chains complete from start to finish and can say it does what it says on the tin.

Go to your nearest dealer and try it for yourself.

Regards

Les

Oregon

Great, any plans to produce it for more saws?

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

I tested it and I must say that for consumer grade use it is not a bad idea, perhaps, but it will still need to be done as it isn't automatic and fool proof! That is were it will get most challenges...

Pro users that are skilled filers and know what a sharp chain is and produce will be disappointed in this I think.

It is better than those tried before, but can't be compared with a Super 20 or Super 70 chain, even if they are poorly filed....

New chains made today are good to start with (thinking of Oregon X series), but not nearly as good as they can be. I alway's file new chains to get shape of edge right and that last little special on the chain that make you happy longer.