357 idle problem

Logrover

You need to pressure test case and carb. If it isn't a airleak it is in the carb.

It sounds as it is starving for fuel, perhaps from wrong needle setting.

For doing this right, look at manufacturers page. they explain very well how to do it.

Setting needle lever on basic setting first, then check under pressure to see it is correct or adjust.

If you open H 1/4 turn more and perhaps L just a tad you might get it more stable.

If it is and you have it running, tilt it on sides, forward and upside under idle.

If it changes rpm or die, you might be pointed in a direction.

If it is irregular and die a bit now and then or do exactly the same, that say's a bit too.

How much is the idle screw in? This open throttle or more exactly stop it from closing.

Could be a blockage or leaking impulse circuit stopping a decent flow of fuel at low revs - also worth checking the fuel filter in the top of the carb and don't forget the fuel tank breather.

The breather can be checked by loosening the fuel filler cap to see if it improves matters.

Spud

Pretty sure its a carb problem now with fuel starvation, put new crank seals in and lengthened the fuel pipe in the tank. So what do i do with the carb??? tempted to set fire to it to be honest im sick of it now!!! anyone want to swop for a nice old 268 or summit that might actually work???

I've got a 353 that was difficult to set up. The solution was as simple as changing the fuel pickup filter in the tank, tho' you've probably done that.

Did it work before you put the new piston and ring in?

If not, it may be the carb. I think there was a bad batch fitted to 357s, and a lot of folk had this trouble. I'd heard one bloke rang Husqvarna about it and they simply sent him a new carb by return, FOC, which sorted the problem.

had the same problem with the 3 i have had. in the end they went in the bin.

in my humble opinion they are flawed, they seem overtuned, I replaced it with larger 372 which seems more comfortable with its power if you know what i mean. not anti husky just this model. A french husky rep privatly admitted some problems with the model.

It ran before i fitted the new stuff but still died on idle as well so it must be the carb and it seems so fickle, think they are overtuned but awesome when running. Im looking at swopping it for a 268 or 372 really as they would be more reliable!:001_smile: i love big saws with small bars as well!!!:001_tt2: im sure a carb would sort it out but itl just go out of tune quickly i imagine again!!

It ran before i fitted the new stuff but still died on idle as well so it must be the carb and it seems so fickle, think they are overtuned but awesome when running. Im looking at swopping it for a 268 or 372 really as they would be more reliable!:001_smile: i love big saws with small bars as well!!!:001_tt2: im sure a carb would sort it out but itl just go out of tune quickly i imagine again!!

I'm sure someone posted on this a while ago. It seems that there was a bad batch of carbs made, and the replacements are fine. They phoned Husqvarna about it, mentioning carb problems, and they got a new one FOC. Is it still in warranty?