Tree Planting/Industry Standards/Educating the Public & Arborists in general!!

RobArb

Digging up an old post, excuse the pun...

I'm helping someone plant several large compartments with 1200 bare-root hardwoods - Q. robur, Acer sp. (Maple of some variety), Carpinus caroliniana (Hornbeam) and a few others. Straight lines, and he was saying there's a variety of planting schemes from the FC and others. My questions are:

When planting, is it advisable to alternate species i.e. Oak / Acer / Oak / Acer or does this mess up line thinning operations down the line?

Do you plant them in blocks? Or would a mix of species promote better long-term growth i.e. companion planting like Birch next to Pine.

How long will they last in sealed plastic bags from the nursery? They're bare-rooted, but covered in soil still so will exposing them to sunlight etc. promote transpiration that will exhaust them? Is it worth sticking them in tubs or loose compost or something in the interim because they're coming into bud.

We're looking to get them in the ground by the end of the month.

This project will be staked and tree guarded.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers.

Will last better in nursery bags than in the wind, but the sooner you get them in the better. Every day counts now ASAP is best. Heeled in a moist sheltered place north facing is best for longer term holding.

I split bundles for natural woodland jobs and mix at the ratio the planting is to be done. E.G 10% oak means I would have say 5 oaks in a mixed bunch of 50 trees and have them rebagged ready to take to site, rather than arriving and working it out.

random instead of straight lines if brilliant for natural look and long term, but if weeds grow rampantly you will curse stimming and mowing maybe.

Badly laid out lines look awful.

Planting for most things is good when mixed. I try and tailor Alders for wet spots. Birch and alders and evergreens around the perimeter for quicker growth to shelter the plantation.

Whoa, blast from the past:biggrin:

I'm as young as I feel at 33!

Not really planted many trees since I posted this way back when, been a full time climber whilst doing the degree (and longer) which I can't believe is nearly finished:thumbup:

A lot happens in nearly 3 years:001_rolleyes: I'm a bit wiser than I was back then:lol:

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Sound advice, sound advice. Have only ever used plugged deelings, lovingly grown from seed before so bare-rooted is new to me. Will try to keep them all alive through the Spring. Hopefully a decent amount of hand-planting will be done, but there was also talk for using a bucket to create furrows. Either way, local conditions will be noted.

British standards are a guide.

They should never be anything more.

BS5837 has caused more trees to be felled then any decay.This because to procure a survey costs more than often tree removal pre planning.

Back to your point when i dig square holes to plant my trees I get all sorts of coments.|When I tell em that its to stop girdling roots no one believes me.

Sometimes do it wrong is easier, does it matter on the majority of jobs.

Its good your questoning but dont get hung up and purest.

I hope this helps and stimulates your thoughts on a slightly differnet angle

shoot straight stay alive

Thanks, but i don't want to be classed as just a thinker... :001_tt2:

As i said i have only just started down this long road but i am full of ideas. My problem is though that although i consider myself a decent climber and a hard worker, i think i would find it difficult to earn peoples respect on matters that i am truly inexperienced on. I know things take time, and i wouldn't want to put peoples noses out of joint but i think that the general public and some company owners would benefit from being educated about all aspects of our job (including tree planting).

I know this world isn't perfect i'm not that naive, but it would be nice for everyone that is an arborist to get the recognition they deserve because of the good practices they deliver. not just because they put in the lowest tender.

Sorry to rant again, think i'm just on a downer about me job at the moment, but hopefully things will change:thumbup:

Rob

British standards are a guide.

They should never be anything more.

BS5837 has caused more trees to be felled then any decay.This because to procure a survey costs more than often tree removal pre planning.

Back to your point when i dig square holes to plant my trees I get all sorts of coments.|When I tell em that its to stop girdling roots no one believes me.

Sometimes do it wrong is easier, does it matter on the majority of jobs.

Its good your questoning but dont get hung up and purest.

I hope this helps and stimulates your thoughts on a slightly differnet angle

shoot straight stay alive

good post