Pre application meetings.

Arborist

Not been charged, but a couple of TOs down here wont have them. With any luck one of them will be out of a job son with the cuts....he spends most of his time in court defending his balls-ups and bad decisions...it must cost the council a fortune.

Surely, you must have an idea what your local Trees and Landscapes department will allow without a pre app. meeting?

Not all To's are alike... Some have very different views.. Pre app meeting saves loads of time and money and IMO are a great idea. The TO has to go out and look at the tree some time why not with you.

The better TO's you can call say I want do x is that OK? They'll have a look and let you know then you can fill in the paper work happy that you can do the job in 6 weeks.

The bad ones won't meet up first, make you fill in the forms wait 8 weeks then send you a letter saying can we extend the waiting time, feel free to appeal. More wasted time, and often they make desions with unrealistic views on tree preservation at all cost.

18 stoner, benedmonds has answered exactly for me.

The job in questions is a new build that has just been finnished and the new owners want 3 awfull Abies not sure what species at the moment out.

When the building started a area order was put on the property.

At the meeting i will be able to discuss with the T O the removel and possible re planting with a differant genera so more likley to get the consent, better for me and better for the cliant.

Plus making contact in person with the T O in my eyes is only good as they get to know my veiws and standard of work and when my company name appears on a application in the future they have a good idear how the work applied for will be carried out.

I've had a couple previoslyand rung a local council to enquire about a meeting and there is a charge of £60!

Anybody else get charged by there local council?

They need to get the cost of a visit down to less than fiver to reach it's true value. Some T.O.s are over promoted, overpaid and can be quite selective who they like or dislike. Typically, they can wrongly ID trees, not return calls, threaten to prosecute any tree surgeon on site and give duff advice. If you live in an area with a good one like me you are very lucky. (T.O. retired and not replaced.)

Not all To's are alike... Some have very different views.. Pre app meeting saves loads of time and money and IMO are a great idea. The TO has to go out and look at the tree some time why not with you.

The better TO's you can call say I want do x is that OK? They'll have a look and let you know then you can fill in the paper work happy that you can do the job in 6 weeks.

The bad ones won't meet up first, make you fill in the forms wait 8 weeks then send you a letter saying can we extend the waiting time, feel free to appeal. More wasted time, and often they make desions with unrealistic views on tree preservation at all cost.

I see where you are coming from Ben, but, I would say there is a level accepted throughout each council. A tree surgeon who is experienced in working on protected trees should have a good idea what that level is.

The council i work with mostly have never turned an application down of mine. I have never needed a pre app. meeting with them either in 8 years.