trewhella winch

elicokiz

I wonder how hard it would be to build something like this? If all you want is raw leverage, at the expense of weight, convenience and speed, then what about buying an old hydraulic winch rated for the same loads (10 tonnes or whatever) minus the motor, slap some wheels on it and figure out a way to power it manually? 

In the ship salvage trade, they use things called chain jacks to raise sunken vessels - 200 tonne hydraulic jacks that grab the chain and inch it along, link by link, repositioning after each power stroke. I don't think there is a more powerful puller in existence. Maybe a smaller version of something like that would do? Or just buy a 9 tonne ratchet lever hoist and build a cart for it. Much safer too.

8 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

I wonder how hard it would be to build something like this? If all you want is raw leverage, at the expense of weight, convenience and speed, then what about buying an old hydraulic winch rated for the same loads (10 tonnes or whatever) minus the motor, slap some wheels on it and figure out a way to power it manually? 

Why minus the motor, use the motor, driven by a suitable hydraulic hand pump, as surely hydraulics, at low flow rates, are one of the most efficient mechanisms?

Gearing is everything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian COOK said:

Thanks, however I have searched every available "source" including that Manufacturer in India.  I actually sent him an e-mail asking if he sold individual repair parts!  The response I got was a quote for a complete winch with a shipping weight of 500kg!  So, another dead end. Appreciate the advice, thank you for trying.

Curiosity only, but what was the quoted price?

And what-on-earth rated line pull if it weighed 500kg?

marcus

I often wonder what happened to mine, it came out thrice in 17 years, usually to get a leaner stood upright! I remember my Uncle David wrestling it on to the back seat of his Vauxhall Viva in the 70's to get a Wellingtonia out of the moat at Bronsil Castle for his sister's family when they were tenants there! When 'a job for the monkey winch' was on, there was some excitement in the offing!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, difflock said:

Why minus the motor, use the motor, driven by a suitable hydraulic hand pump, as surely hydraulics, at low flow rates, are one of the most efficient mechanisms?

Gearing is everything.

Well I'm no expert on hydraulics, but I thought the typical powered motor needs a certain minimum flow rate to overcome leakage through the mechanism no? If I'm wrong about this I'll be delighted, as I'd quite like to build something like that myself.

3 hours ago, difflock said:

Curiosity only, but what was the quoted price?

And what-on-earth rated line pull if it weighed 500kg?

marcus

Apparently US$1770.00 .........not including shipping.  I think they have something wrong as the Monkey winch may be heavy but I think 80kg would pull it up!  They literally sent an updated e-mail when I questioned "what" they were offering to sell at a weight of 500kg and again asked "do you/will you sell spare parts"?  The answer literally "No, we will not"...end of message, polite buggers they are not!  So forget the land of "Ohh the elephants"!

11 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

I like this old winch and would like to get it working again, beggar for punishment?