threading the needle

dadio

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a point on which we disagree..

MY opinion: People think the techniques demonstrated are unsafe, risky, lucky etc.. because it is either over their heads (beyond their set of experieinces), or they misinterpret the videos and the explanations as they never give the full story. there is just far too much going on to explain and show it all on a shoe-string budget.

I AM also glad to get the confirmation that prejudices from other American sites has bled throuhg to the conversations here. I have tried to be polite here, and not met met with the same by many. Glad there are a few here who take objection to this treatment and would like to carry on a respectful dialogue.

There is a perfectly polite question on post 41 to answer. Thank you in anticipation, look forward to your reply. Kind Regards.

The reason for the internet (imo) is for the sharing of information, experience and knowledge. We can agree/disagree with whatever is shared, we can take the positives and negatives from this information and do with it whatever we like, it is the freedom of information.

If some one is sharing dangerous techniques then the reader should be able to make the informed decision to either use or discard this information. The good side to forums is that people can voice their opinions, so as to let others know any dangers involved in anothers post, so if someone on a worksite were to have never used a certain technique (maybe they came up with it from their own invention) then they have seen the method and know the dangers and should be able to make their own judgement.

If someone posted that they exit all trees by unclipping at 15ft and pulling a para roll as it was quicker I would hope we would all have the judgement to either use or discard this method appropriately, even maybe comment their thoughts on using this technique. I would not however advocate some sort of character assassination on the poster as, if it works for them then good luck to them, at least someone would have warned them!(the beauty of forums, info can pass both ways and we can again use or discard the information given)

I'm sure all of us do things we wouldn't want a newbie doing, that's what experience brings, I saw things I wouldn't try, so as I never tried them myself (or waited until i had the experience). learn from others mistakes as well as successes, it's all learning. I make these judgements and will always try and make an informed decision.....however the point is made!

With the posting of these methods, safe or not in whoever's eyes it means more information out there for us to make our own judgements, it can only be a good thing imo!

This is just my opinion on how forums should be used and am in no way encouraging others to do anything they or others consider to be dangerous.

Edited by treemeup

Here's the answer to post 41..

Its a long answer so here it goes...

combination of reasons:

1) dropping the whole thing in one cut after taking out the side limbs that would catch the english walnut in the neighbor's yard was going to save a lot of time over lowering, even with a mewp (finally figured out what a mewp is) mines an altec LR IV 55' workign height. SO time was the biggest concern..

2) the money cut was fun to pull off and get on video.

3) dropping it in one cut like that put the majority of the mess in the street which is easier to clean up. it turns out that the chip truck had a blown transmission so I had no chipper that day. I was hoping to use this job as a way to get a day of work in, not having to wait for the transmission repair. with a big drop like that, all the dead brush that wold otherwise need to be chipped would just blow up into small pieces could be loaded into the F350 dump with the skid loader.

4) the backyard had three levels. Tree was on the lower level, I had no access to that level with the skid loader and it would have been very difficult to move much mass from that level.

5) slighly shorthanded that day

6) only acces with the mewp was from neighbor's driveway and I didn't have enough reach to rig the top of the tree easily..

Is that enough?

just an after thought, using this 'explosive' technique seems less controlled than a pull line, and a regular back cut, which allows the cutter to manupilate the hinge to controll the fall off the tree by cutting more off one side of the hinge, altering the direction of fell by a fair few degrees. i see the benifit felling stems, but not whole trees. why do you prefer/did you choose this technique for this tree?

its intresting to see diffrent techniques, and try to understand them!

Josh,

Hard to understand that question.. it sounds like you are really asking about the plunge cut.. when I got precticed and comfortable with using the plunge in falling either trees or spars, I think I have more control, becasue I can take my time setting the hinge exactly as I want it, in complete leisure. I can taper it or do whatever I want to it, while have more control over the exact height of the backcut, which is harder to do with a standard backcut.

there are a lot of benefits to the plunge which I have explained a number of times, as well as the advantages of the step cut which was exaplined in depth in the siberian elm removal thread at the TH .. It gets pretty involved and more than I want to explain again.