Root zone amelioration

David Humphries

.sorry i'm being cheeky:sneaky2:but would it be possible for me to use your photographs to illustrate this technique to my learners?

regards

Dave:thumbup1:

Feel free Dave, there up here to be shown as an example of some experience.

Could you please credit them as being from the City of London, if you do use them.

Thanks

David

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondered what type of soil you've got.

I've been lead to believe that airspades aren't so good on very heavy clay soil, but I'm hoping to be proved wrong.

AC, we're predominantly Bagshot sands on the upper slopes of the Heath, though this park lies lower down and shares a geological boundary between the Claygate beds & the surrounding London Clay.

This part of the park is most probably within the Claygate beds, quite a lot of pebble & sand & bits of clay.

A real mixture.

I think there will undoubtedly be damage to root bark in some parts of this Rz, and some areas that will not be so bad.

Love seeing this kind of thing going on. i have been losing intrest recently as i now work for a highways contractor and the work is quite often heavy handed and brutaul seeing this helps to rekindle the flame keep up the good work and respect to your client for instructing this level of management.:thumbup:

Glad to have the oportunity to share this TG.

In terms of Client instructing..........well that's kinda me really.

as Trees management officer, I'm afforded a lot of freedom to develope the work plans the way I see fit. The beauty of my job, is that I currently find a good balance between the office & being out with the Team.

That keeps the work interesting & challenging :001_smile:

Work in progress Tobias.

Learning curve here, will lead to a proscription toward future decompaction works.

Think I like your piece of art a little more than our hunk of concrete. :biggrin:

Only thing though.....they really are two sewer pipes!:001_tongue:

Politics...aye?:001_huh: Ruining a perfect image of a tree...:confused1:

• 2 weeks later...

So here's the final sets of before & after shots.

Not sure I would even like to think of this approach (two phase) as a comercial venture, would be pretty darn pricey in terms of time.

& I guess only time will tell if this has been sympathetic/beneficial enough, or too little.

Will update through out next years growing seasons..........

IMG_9127.JPG.edac9ad88d48dc57bfcabaf00a964156.JPG

IMG_8637.jpg.d20ac86456471dd0c68b7e0b8dd4ef81.jpg

IMG_8631.jpg.3a423682731e554aed9f1fe24d92ae8c.jpg