the body language of Decay, The Delights of D

And how about defense via mycorhizea? ive made field observations and have noted that some of these relationships arent as defensive as we are lead to believe. i think we need to do a lot of research into the antagonistic potential of each fungi and each pathogen.

One in particular i would like to research later is what i believe to be one of the most effective defensive myco's The larch bolete V The dyers mazegill (phaeolus) and heterobassidion annosum

I´m with you there...interesting conclusions. This is true when it comes to beech and oaks but with the other ones? Maple, birch and so on, coevolution...?

Enlighten us Mr H:sneaky2::biggrin:

O.K TOBIAS

lets talk about Birch then, fommes or Betulina, iether way the birch doesnt fight it, in fact its argued that birch and Betulina are in the seed together!

So birch relies on a pioneerring spirit more than a recruiting of heart rots, though i now have a few birch examples that suggest they have evolved VERY unique mechanical structures that assit in layering rather than typical modes of longevity. lattice work and helical fibres that enable long limbs to twist and bend down rather than snap.

So the birch relies on a fast lifestyle producing many milions of seds that fly freely, and seek out new open areas, a very different life strategy to an oak

O.K TOBIAS

lets talk about Birch then, fommes or Betulina, iether way the birch doesnt fight it, in fact its argued that birch and Betulina are in the seed together!

So the sneaky bugger grows up with her and then when they are both old then.....WHACK! Hits her in the ribs and leaves her bleading? Good friends.....:thumbdown::lol:

mmm, try to think of birch in the same light (pun) that the pagans do, a giving of life a symbol of re birth and rejuvenation. Birch prepairing the ground once made baron, and laying down thier bodies as the basis for more stable life, whilst moving on to new open pastures ripe for these light loving pioneers. they are the hard workers, the labourers the ground workers the soil engineers prepairing the way for higher society.

mmm, try to think of birch in the same light (pun) that the pagans do, a giving of life a symbol of re birth and rejuvenation. Birch prepairing the ground once made baron, and laying down thier bodies as the basis for more stable life, whilst moving on to new open pastures ripe for these light loving pioneers. they are the hard workers, the labourers the ground workers the soil engineers prepairing the way for higher society.

much as i would like to believe that all the plants and animals work together in perfect harmony...

The purpose (in the Darwinian/ evolutionary sense) of a birch tree is to create more birch trees. Not to pave the way for other species to become established.

i agree with a lot of what you are saying- dont get me wrong. there is possibly an "ultimate state" , a climax within each tree/fungi relationship.

but i see the road there as a biological arms race, not a hand-shaking and sharing situation.

That is entirely a choice to see, but there is another path, it is inclusional, ever diversified life by infinate temporal porosity!:lol:

"the receptive hole!":laugh1:

put your hole away! :lol:

consider this:

A gazelle is running from a lion. the gazelle does not want to be eaten- in fact, none of its species have ever wanted to be eaten. its species have developed the capacity to run very fast to avoid being eaten.

survival of the fittest.

the gazelles that do get eaten, are the slower, older, weaker, or stupider gazelles. removing these gazelles from the gene pool does have benefits for the species as a whole- but these benefits are consequences of predation, not the purpose of predation.

the lion does not prefer his gazelles "fast".

it is unfortunate for the lion that the gazelles are fast.

thus the lion must become faster/ sneakier

and on and on..................

:001_smile: