The frog Walker SRT

Laz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

used the SRT system again today on a big pine, its such an easy way to ascend once you get a rhythm going and you arrive at the top ready to go. its a bit cumbersome with all the extra gear but worth it i reckon on big climbs.and its fun trying new stuff out.

This is the system:

- Small clip to retain rope to right leg (prevent rope pulling out of croll).

- QUOTE]

Do you mean a clip to stop it pulling out of the pantin? if not, im confused...........

Hi Drew

Sorry for any confusion. My explanation:

- I clip the top holes of the Ascension with a Petzl amd. This is easy to rotate through the holes unlike some krabs (when clipping a pulley for RADS conversion), and has a broad surface for smooth rope running during ascent; smaller clips (they need not be rated here) of narrow diameter tend to drag and vibrate.

- I then clip with a key chain type clip the top slot of the Croll to the rope also (where the Torse runs through). This is because when following the access line up through the branches, using the branches as hand and footholds, the rope can be pulled away from the Croll.

- I then clip the line, with a key chain type krab, to the right leg loop of my harness as the line exits the Croll (I use the Treeflex, which has a floating leg loop ring ideal for this). Again, this is because of the potential side pull when climbing through branches e.g. you step left off a branch, where the rope runs right back to the side of the branch you came up.

I'll have my colleague take a pic today/tomorrow, and post it. It won't be re-sized though.

I hope that helps.

:001_cool:

More important than the ease, is the ergonomic efficiency.

The body is being taught positive proprioception.

That is key to avoiding MSDs through repetitive tasks.

I like the way you promote effcient ergonomic work practice, but i can't help thinking access is only a very small part of our job.

I would like to eventually invest in a tree frog set-up, but so far footlocking serves me well, it generally only takes me a maximum of 5 minutes to ascend on a knot (I may do a little work on anything directly in my way on the ascent)

5 minutes ascent and then upto 4-5 hours climbing i just can't help but think any MSD's or RSI's i'm going to get will be related to my work once in the tree and not the ascent.

Just my in-experienced thoughts on the subject.

Plus with most things related to our work there are good and bad ways to footlock.

...access is only a very small part of our job.

Plus with most things related to our work there are good and bad ways to footlock.

You're right but access is the area where we put our bodies in the most unnatural configurations. Once we're working we're hanging, standing or walking. That's much more natural for us former tree dwellers.

I rarely use my SRT setup but it is handy to have for bigger ascents.Scott Sharpe designed it and it is great to use.I convinced my Boss( leading contractor) to buy 100 meters 10 mm Spectra which mostly sits around but a handy when needed.

In response to Marcs query:

Gravity (as I'm sure we all realise) is one of the primary forces in the universe. Consequently, overcoming this force, especially with larger mass, requires considerable effort. It doesn't really matter how long it takes, the energy requirements are much higher than other aspects of our work.

As humans, we are primarily designed to do this by standing upright and using the legs and buttocks for propulsion.

To climb, we should still look to these groups as a primary means. But as things get more vertical, inevitably the arms, back and shoulders will take over. No problem for apes, as they are designed specifically for this task. We as humans are not (a scientific fact, regardless of where we think we come from....).

Modern Humans are (primarily) bio-mechnically designed/evolved for walking and running, not climbing.

If we do not respect these facts and principles, we can develop an imbalanced posture inducing wear and tear and eventually pain/disability.

The basic principle, is that ascent takes a phenomenal amount of effort. Effort of this magnitude needs to be exercised in a way that compliments human bio-mechanical principles.

It doesn't matter if its one big ascent of the day, or lots of little ones, over time, it all mounts up.

Ergonomics is not about reducing effort (exercise and reasonable effort is very good for us), it is about exercising effort with as much bio-mechanical efficiency as possible, and using compenatory exercise where it isn't. Pro tree work takes up too much of our time to compensate properly with exercise, so better to concentrate more on good work technique.

There are other aspects to our work where we can improve ergonomics, but it is the areas requiring most energy on a routine basis (ascent, lifting) that are the higher risks.

The reason the Frog seems so easy, is because it is more efficient for the way we are designed.

I hope that helps explain a little of where I'm coming from.

Laz

I looked at your setup again last week. I know we don't agree on two mechanical devices working together and my only reason for disagreeing with this is because the croll and the hand ascender, both have open throats.

I use a lockjack for climbing, which is a single mechanical device I know, but I feel safe on this simply because it is a closed system.

I also got the Lockjack positioner and use that also. Which looking into it sounds a bit hypocrytical saying I don't fully trust mechanical devices without friction cord backup

Could your system be "backed up" with say a ISC rope grab instead of the croll or even the postioner. I would feel a lot more secure on two "mechanical" devices if one was closed throat same as the grab or positioner.

I only use the hand ascenders as a climbing aid, simply because they can easily fail.