AA Trade Fair, evening entertainment

nod

To bring it all back into reality, how often do you go out in a team where your groundy is up to speed on modern srt, let alone being able to preform it? I think these guys are thinking a little too hard! We seem to be in an era where everyone and their dog has got an improvement or new technique.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are thinking too hard, on a daily basis, can your groundy preform any aspect of srt. Or even an ariel rescue for that fact. Whats the point of demonstrating to show how hard it is? They'd b better off not showing the demonstration at all and spending every year touring colleges making sure the students can do the basics.

They'd b better off not showing the demonstration at all and spending every year touring colleges making sure the students can do the basics.

I will disagree, as that's not there role in it's entirety. The effective tuition of the basics is something we all desire, in college and in the work pace.

Without such individuals we would all be climbing on a taughtline with 3 strand, and slinging a bow saw over our shoulders. There is no requirement to accept new and modified working practices and tool, but without inovation you are usualy left with stagnation.

I do very much like the new DMM carabiners, the tiny sentinel and the triple lock revolver. Big thumbs up here, although I had seen them before the show.

can you post a pic showing how much smaller the sentinel is? cheers:001_smile:

There are some interesting points here.

What it highlights to me, is the risk of relying on what people show you for work (sales pitch, demo, competition), without entering into an instructional agreement i.e. accountability.

Accountability makes sure the instructor explains and agrees the parameters of presentation with an emplyers specific undertaking, advising on suitabililty. This ensures a compensation trail for negligence.

The next point is the employer/self employed being responsible for adequate risk assessment of the tools and techniques they would like to employ. Not doing so has a compensation trail for negligence. And then the moral issues.

I would recommend anyone serious about work site safety (hopefully everyone), break down to their own satisfaction, exactly what it is they are trying to achieve, then seek a way of doing it with safety, simplicity and efficiency. This may require expert advice where knowledge/understanding is lacking.

We should never purchase and use equipment with techniques just because it looks good or we think we can find a use for it, or because we saw someone else do something flashy with it. We need to cover all the angles.

This is effective risk assessment. :001_cool:

My concern is for those watching demos; sometimes, so many 'new' tools and techniques are being demo'd in a short space of time, without limitations, risks or adequate controls being fully explained.

Couple this risk with employers/self employed that may not have the expertise to fill in the gaps and ensure accurate risk asessment and adequate controls.

Don't look to demos as solutions, please. They should just be a tool to get us to think.

Tho I didnt stand and watch this particular demo, I think the idea is open peoples eyes to see a different way of approaching things. I've often found the best way to deal with a situation is the simplest. Keep It Simple, less risk of an error in the setting up, esp in an emergency situation. Saying this, and knowing those who carried out the presentations, they put these scenarios across in a very professional manner, and it does give you food for thought, and a talking point.

As for touring the colleges, well I think the students have enough to absorb learning the fundamental basics, and can always learn more afterwards.

Two points i'm trying to make are that, firstly, i feel that there are people out there whose desire is to be recognised for creating new methods is leading to a scenario where these new styles are of no worth or relevance to an every day work place and do not progress the industry. I fully accept that without innovation there can be no progression. Secondly Andy, i would describe the ability to preform a rescue as a pretty fundamental basic. Wouldn't you agree?