Phototalk - ask a question or explain stuff about photography

Albedo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little googling comes up with Boke being blur or haze in Japanese and 'Boke-aji' being blur quality. The Japanese term Boke is also used to mean mental haze or senility.

You may find me using the term Boke-aji because I like it :001_smile: Please do not take a fence as I will always mean 'Blur quality' and not the other thing.:sneaky2:

Based on the English version 'Bokeh' being a phonetic of the Japanese, I'm guessing Boh (as in big O not little o) Kay R Gee.

Hope that makes some kind of sense Rob:confused1: Someone may well know better, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a Japanese speaker on here somewhere:001_smile:

do you reckon that would be bokeh as in "bOquet" (bouquet not bucket(or bokay), with silent t and large O) or bOk"e" (with a short e as in how a child would learn the phonetic alphabet)

i know this has nothing to do with photography but it seemed relevant haha!!

do you reckon that would be bokeh as in "bOquet" (bouquet not bucket(or bokay), with silent t and large O) or bOk"e" (with a short e as in how a child would learn the phonetic alphabet)

i know this has nothing to do with photography but it seemed relevant haha!!

Definately the former Rob:001_smile: Do we have it nailed now mate?:001_cool:

Edited by Albedo
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

-cool thread... interesting pics.

ボケ boke, pronounced as its written, short vowel sounds (like sake is, not sar_key)

味 (あじ) aji, meaning tase or flavor.

None of the Japanese guys in the office understood "Bo-Ke ecolojim" though.

I have some cool macro baby spider pics... and some funky srooms too, I'll try to find later.

Cheers

(Hope the Nihon symbols show, ask for further explanations, as it would get further off thread)

here's my spider pic, taken with my humble Cannon A590, just a macro point and shoot with a little control over the focal point (the green square).

Comments please, it seems my DOF and focal point is not great??? -but these where moving targets, so not much time to fart with settings...

F3.5, shutter speed 1/60", ISO80

Can't find my fugi pics right now :-( but great thread, I've discovered new functions on my camera, I can't pretend I fully understand them, but I can do a bit of slightly educated trial and error... before I had some success with using low ISO and adjusting shutter speed, hope I'll get some improved results with adjusting the other settings.

59765871a39c4_Babyspiders.jpg.4b9bf731ce2d0a27ada4931c6e012031.jpg