siberian elm removals

dadio

This is another older video from last year..

we used the GRCS to drift line some pieces from the tree over the garage to the tree over the driveway, and a couple other nice cuts.

The bucket was maxxed out, so I had to brush some tips on the garage roof, which fortunately was metal roof with no gutters.. NO HARM done..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r17mKsfM-jQ]YouTube - Siberian Elm Removal Youtube.mov[/ame]

youre braver than me, i cringed watching those logs swinging by youre boom!

can i ask whats going on with those bored stepped hinges?? and do you climb?

Me too. I wouldn't have taken as bigger bits but that either. I think the stepped hinges are designed to hold the tree up and get broken when the kid steer pulls on it.

Love those step cuts.. came up with the idea myself, though doubt I was the first.

I like to cut as low as possible to avoid having to make a flush cut before grinding the stump. Making the notch down low into the root flare can be a tedious cut, and you can't trust the grain in the wood down there, as it goes all over the place. So it is better to keep the notch and the hinge above the root flare in case of larger trees or the need for precision falling.

So the step cut allows for keeping the notch in good wood, while keeping half the back cut flush. Depending on the situation. we'll either just grind the whole stump as is, or flush cut the other half of the step, and handle that half round, which can usually go through the chipper. My chipper takes up to 17" high and 21" wide, so most halves will chip.

Saving the need to flush cut the stump and handle the resulting round was the original thinking in developing this cut. I have found it very useful in controlling the fall as well. If you try the cut, you'll find that it takes quite a bit of pull to trigger the fall. This allows the faller to make the cut and walk away before calling for the pull, a very iseful option in certain situations.

The only thing is you have to get good with setting the hinge with a plunge cut. It has to be second nature.

What is a mewp?

and a bit of an illusion there due to camera angle. those pieces weren't even close to the boom, even though it looks that way on screen.