Road closures.

tommer9

Closing a road requires lots of legal hoops to be jumped threw and notice given in order to suspend right of way, blocking a road doesn’t.

i.e. it is an offence to erect “road closed” signs when all the hoops haven’t been jumped threw, it is not an offence to erect “road blocked” signs.

I am purely interested in what other councils charge for official road closures, including alternative rights of way, public notifications and signage etc etc.

I have also blocked the road with a landy and some cones on many occasion, although this is strictly illegal.

Last I heard its a £1000.00 here to apply for a road closure, then if there are additional costs like diversion etc then this can be charged extra.

On the other hand, if a tree is imminently going to fall on the road the police will close it free of charge as an emergency.

its free here, just fill in the right forms and send to the right office and they let the emergency services etc re-route as well as rescheduling to not have too many works in one area etc, as rupe says in emergency the police come in very handy:thumbup1:.. as do stoppy boards and landrovers, logs, groundies and brash:thumbup:, however imo temp traffic lights just encourage them to speed up:thumbdown:

• 1 month later...

Get on Tommer, yeah ive had several closures over the years costing around £800 as you said. Seems a bit steep i agree but highways once told me figure was in fact for "renting " the closed section for the day?! so i guess you could hold a party or use it as a race track for the day if you wished? prob not though! A farmer once told me an old law says you can block/hold up traffic for upto 20 mins if you need to unload/load or carry out emergency work. ive done this a few times and got away with it but you gotta get ur arse in gear lol. Did any of your trees get washed away in meva then!lol.

Are we taking about total road closure, with diversion routes put in? Or a temporary delay while a limb is cut off or a tree dropped? I'm having a bit of an issue with one particular job and the local council highways dept In the past I have just made a call and they have given the go ahead, now they want something called a TMA form fiiling in with a fee of 315quid, is this usual?

Down here in cornwall i can get a road closed for £435.00 + vat , this is only for highways to notify the Emergency services and to post the requird adverts in the local rag, we plan the diversion route (with the route being approved by highways), we put out the diversion boards and carry out the closure oh and put out the advance warning Boards . I will point out that if the works required is classed as emergency works then you are able to close the road as long as you use correct signage and set up a diversion , BUT you MUST notify highways a.s.a.p. The same goes for traffic lights .