Safe processor?????

Kev Stephenson

Used to run one, it was a very fast machine and not for fannies, I found it so fast it was knackering trying to keep up with the rotations of the knife, because if you missed a revolution you had to wait for it to go around again, it was like doing a work out as you also have to carry half the weight of the timber all the time!:blushing:

Image011.jpg.7d5e1599aa5b510847b396257808596c.jpg

Seen one of these for sale on ebay - how the hell would this meet any safety standards?

A guardless hole big enough to take 8" material direct onto a slow moving flywheel that forces the material onto a blade.

Maybe it's just me but it does not look like fun to operate

]

I saw this at the APF and was tempted to buy one, I think they are around 4k. Looked very simple and easy to use but the end product is a bit unsightly.

Didn't look any more dangerous than any other machine, it has a guard over the intake. I think the video is a bit misleading

Machines are only as safe as the person using them.

Cutting with a guillotine isn't new, I remember a green one at many trade shows being fed by a conveyor (with guard) and driven by a hydraulic motor that was attached to something like a 5hp motor. Not many moving parts or bits to go wrong. But the logs weren't as pretty as cut logs.

Used to run one, it was a very fast machine and not for fannies, I found it so fast it was knackering trying to keep up with the rotations of the knife, because if you missed a revolution you had to wait for it to go around again, it was like doing a work out as you also have to carry half the weight of the timber all the time!:blushing:

Just wondering mate - when you say 'used to run one' - did you find a better solution, or did you simply give up firewooding? Ive been looking at these and the Bilke s model for small thinning etc recently. Alot of people on here told me the bilkes end product is more large kindling like then logs, but this didnt put me off too much, as the machine i choose will only be for a very small scale production family members supply.

The klapi is a nearly half the price of the bilke - only difference really is the feed conveyor the bilke has.

Not only is the klapi cheaper but i found out that my tractor wouldnt have sufficent hp to power it (the bilke) so that model is probably out.

Just as a matter of interest do you reckon an old 35 would do the business with a klapi? Does the klapi need low rev and slow, powerful rpm on the pto to cut cleanly?

Also - does the Klapi have an emergency stop button near the imput chamber (or anywhere)?

Thanks for your help in advance.

We have a log processor on one of the local shooting estates i go to. It is both electronically and hydraulically powered and is mounted on the back of a large Case tractor. They can dial in the length they want cut, place the log on a V shaped feed shoot that weighs the timber. Then measures it then sends it for cutting. When the cut log drops it goes into another v shaped shoot with a high powered hydraulic ram that pushes it into a 4 way splitter. It then sends the split log up another belt into a grain trailer that is fixed in at an angle so the logs can be removed easily from the base. Its a very clever bit of kit but extremely noisy.