Caution!!

Andy Collins

Though it is an unpleasant thought, it has crossed my mind in the last few days.

We all love to post pics of our latest shiny piece of kit, whether it is a carabiner, or a new Stihl saw. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that if we law abiding citizens have access to the internet to do our research, then so do the criminal fraternity. How helpful would it be for them to see a list of saws that you keep in your shed, that nice pic of your shiny sign-written truck, that new stump-grinder you just bought.

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy, or deter people from showing off their kit, but just urging caution before doing so.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though it is an unpleasant thought, it has crossed my mind in the last few days.

We all love to post pics of our latest shiny piece of kit, whether it is a carabiner, or a new Stihl saw. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that if we law abiding citizens have access to the internet to do our research, then so do the criminal fraternity. How helpful would it be for them to see a list of saws that you keep in your shed, that nice pic of your shiny sign-written truck, that new stump-grinder you just bought.

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy, or deter people from showing off their kit, but just urging caution before doing so.

That is why some of us have not put up our names, and stick to our pseudonyms.

Hmmmm, worth saying....

BTW the above note was put up because the Crime Prevention Officer pointed it out to me as a possible source for crims, just as they could look for addresses thru YP or whatever. They could just as easily research your company website for the details.

I've got signs at the end of the drive advertising Tree Surgery. Just the Signage "Tree Surgery" suggests there is at least, climbing gear, a chipper, chainsaws, hedge Trimmer etc etc etc on the premises.

You will be already well known through local advertising, so pictures of your kit ( which you advertise to the world towing it behind your truck everyday) aren't going to make any difference.

As you say Andy, complacency is your worst enemy, not the fact that the theives know what kit you have.

I had two lads knocking at my back door yesterday, while another was by the garage eyeing all my scrap up. They asked the wife if we had any scrap, she told them to f off basically and they had a go at her, saying "you'd think we were theives or something".

After they left and I got home, I went through the cctv and found where they had parked, what vehicle it was and it just turned out all the drain covers down the road had been taken within the last few hours.

So I'm on alert for the next few weeks plus I've got the cops up this aft veiwing the cctv footage.

But to be honest, pseudonyms and posting photos on here wont make an ounce of difference. What does is showing them you mean business when they do knock at your door.

Last ones that knocked on my door got a right verbal abusing and told to @ off my drive in the next 5 seconds or else.

Standing there staring at them wide eyed and twitching one eye, your shoulder and head also helps to show you mean business :wave:

Could be a problem from the more organised teaves as they seem to be targeting Landys, Chippers and Agric equipment in rural areas.

A local tree fella up here just lost all his gear just last week.

For a 16k chipper it is worth them doing a bit of research!

Tip tho. When you go back to your yard after work with your kit check your not being followed to sniff out your yard.

Easy if your yard is in the woods but not so easy in Clapham

Standing there staring at them wide eyed and twitching one eye, your shoulder and head also helps to show you mean business :wave:

Having the reputation of being a bit of a nutter can be a very good thing sometimes :icon14::wave:

Could be a problem from the more organised teaves as they seem to be targeting Landys, Chippers and Agric equipment in rural areas.

A local tree fella up here just lost all his gear just last week.

For a 16k chipper it is worth them doing a bit of research!

Tip tho. When you go back to your yard after work with your kit check your not being followed to sniff out your yard.

Easy if your yard is in the woods but not so easy in Clapham

Conkers,

Who, what, where etc just in case I get some offers of cheap kit (last one was a tipping Ifor for £300!).

:icon14: