Dodgy motors and consumer rights!

adbat234

Bought the missus an audi tt 02 reg for £7.5k from a trader in manchester and have had the car 15 days and just discovered the clutch is ruined and slipping real bad.

Dealer won't refund or repair he says:confused1:. I have now been put on to an independent engineer who told me the following info. From the date of purchase you have 6 months to reject the vehicle if a major defect arises and it is up to the dealer to prove the car was in good condition when it left the garage, not vice versa.

My stress over £1k worth of clutch work completely dissapeared when the engineer said if the garage refuse to do the work within 14 days of my letter sent to them (which i posted today) He will carry out the work and sue the garage for payment. :thumbup1:.

If this message saves one other person the stress ive had for a few days then its been worth posting. Top info to know.

I refrained from naming the dealer on here so as not to antogonise the admin:001_rolleyes: but if you live in manchester or are ever going to buy a car from over that way PM me if you want and i will provide the name of the garage as a heads up on what these guys sell, which is sheeite from experience.

Isn't a clutch one of those expensivly annoying parts that never get covered by anything because you wan wear 'em out in minutes if you really try.

Sure I remember us getting through 2 clutches in the first year of having a ford ranger tipper, and that was all driver error according to ford.

Isn't a clutch one of those expensivly annoying parts that never get covered by anything because you wan wear 'em out in minutes if you really try.

Sure I remember us getting through 2 clutches in the first year of having a ford ranger tipper, and that was all driver error according to ford.

('Corse, it probably was driver error, or maybe it was the greedy boards on the tipper filled to the top, and the tracked chipper hitched on the back)

All parts of the car are covered by the 6 month right to reject. Even the clutch is covered as it is seen to be a major component fault.

Like i said i was completely unaware of these rights. visit consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/buyingausedcaryourrights.html

You can go as far as six years if you really want to try but the longer you have had the vehicle the less likely a judgement in your favour.

It wasnt till i drove the car after 2 weeks of the wife driving it that was noticed the clutch was slipping.

"do you know your clutch is slipping" i asked the wife. "whats the clutch was her reply":lol:

With regards to the engineer suing the garage on my behalf i dare say im nothing to do with it once the car is repaired but i bet his rates are a bit tasty to make it worth his while doing it. The guy has a great reputation round these parts and told me it was a shame the dealer wasn't more local to us as he could guarantee an instant repair with a simple phone call if they were, such is his rep.:001_smile:

Thanks for that info, a friend has just bought a car (only a £650 car, but even still...) and after 2 weeks of having it, the rear susp is buggered and the throttle cable snapped. I'll let them know of this post haste!

Has to be bought from a trader bear in mind. Private sales and they are goosed. Trade sale, you got them by the nuts.:thumbup:

All parts of the car are covered by the 6 month right to reject. Even the clutch is covered as it is seen to be a major component fault.

Like i said i was completely unaware of these rights. visit consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/buyingausedcaryourrights.html

You can go as far as six years if you really want to try but the longer you have had the vehicle the less likely a judgement in your favour.

It wasnt till i drove the car after 2 weeks of the wife driving it that was noticed the clutch was slipping.

"do you know your clutch is slipping" i asked the wife. "whats the clutch was her reply":lol:

With regards to the engineer suing the garage on my behalf i dare say im nothing to do with it once the car is repaired but i bet his rates are a bit tasty to make it worth his while doing it. The guy has a great reputation round these parts and told me it was a shame the dealer wasn't more local to us as he could guarantee an instant repair with a simple phone call if they were, such is his rep.:001_smile:

I hope your right, but it may not end up being quite as simple as it appears. Tread carefully is all I'm saying and good luck.

R