Mad to go into Arb?

tallbaldtim

Hi

I need the advice of all of those who have been climbing for a while. I am a 42 year old (ancient I know) and left the Army 3 years ago. I like to think i keep fit although probably not fit enough. I want to get into Arb and looking at doing a course with either Kingswood Training or Merrist Wood. That will give me CS30, CS31, 38, 39, chippers and grinders.

So, am I too old to start? Has anyone else my age started in the industry? Hard work doesn't frighten me and neither just working outdoors in all weathers - thats what I want!!

I need the voice of experience, however brutal!!

Thanks

I would say that ground work and team management might be your best option, with some climbing here and there to keep your rescue abilities up to scratch.

Do you have drivign quals like HGV? They are more valuable to many companies, Bartletts especially will take people on if they have HGV.

Tim your never too old, you will prob find that a lot of guys on here will tell you that you will find it hard to start at 42.

I left the army last year trained at kingswood and now run my own business which has taken off and going great. I have never looked back and the only regret that I have about this business is that I never got into it a long time ago.

My advice is go for it.

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Go for it you are not to old to go into Arb my any means I am not far off 40 and female :thumbup: I love every minuet of it it was the best move i ever made. For years I was in working in the elderly care sector in nursing homes and hospitals . I now work outside everyday doing tree and garden care working for myself or for whoever needs a hand .O how I love it .

More and more smaller company's are seeing the benefit of having a slightly older worker working for them as they tend to be very keen and reliable and really want to do the job .

The courses you are doing will help you no end. Go for a job as a groundy to start with this will give you great exp you will use all the equipment and get to see how it all runs in commercial and domestic settings you will learn how to manage the traffic put out all the signs use the big chippers and stump grinders down to working in the private gardens for the elderly couple .After a little while if you get in with a nice company they will get you going up the trees and you can develop your new skills at your own pace .

To get your foot in you will need to be very determined and don't give up it will take lots of phone calls to all your local tree company's and a determination not to be put off if you don't get in after the first 10 calls just keep on and use every opportunity

Having said that don't let people take advantage of you . Remember you will have worked very hard to get your tickets in effort and ivestment , the graft you will be doing is worth a living wage it will not be amazing but a fair days work for a fair days wage. !!

. In the mean time try to get as much practice in as you can on your saw do little jobs for friends the more hours handling time you can get on your saw the better.

All the best

Littletree:thumbup:

Edited by Littletree

Hi Tim

i recently left the army and did the course at kingswood, im now running my own business and never looked back. Be under no illusion though mate, the work is hard, and it can be a steep learning curve especially if you run your own outfit. The course at Kingswood is first rate and all the instructors are top blokes. Go for it mate you'll love it!!!

Cheers

Dave