TR70 branch logger at APF

Buzzsurgeon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I was talking to Andy from Welmac on Friday at the Scot Plant Show in Edinburgh and there is a new machine out that will take larger diameter branches, about 6 inch I think. The video was very impressive, the machine spat out a silver birch like a machine gun spitting out bullets!!

Quite tempted to buy one if I can find the right outlet for the product.

I was talking to Andy from Welmac on Friday at the Scot Plant Show in Edinburgh and there is a new machine out that will take larger diameter branches, about 6 inch I think. The video was very impressive, the machine spat out a silver birch like a machine gun spitting out bullets!!

Quite tempted to buy one if I can find the right outlet for the product.

This one? 110mm diameter so a good bit bigger than the first one

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjRqrfS3plc]URBAN TR110 - YouTube[/ame]

We're in a similar position - loads of suitable timber to go through one but trying to move enough to justify the machine.

It'd help to get hold of a few bags of product to be able to show potential outlets but that's been proving hard enough.

This one? 110mm diameter so a good bit bigger than the first one

We're in a similar position - loads of suitable timber to go through one but trying to move enough to justify the machine.

It'd help to get hold of a few bags of product to be able to show potential outlets but that's been proving hard enough.

Thats the one Chris. Definately a good bit bigger but also a good bit more expensive - £6500 plus drat! Although there are grants kicking about at the moment so should be able to get 40% towards it. as you say, getting hold of a couple of bags of product would be good to take round outlets as a sample to gauge demand.

Thats the one Chris. Definately a good bit bigger but also a good bit more expensive - £6500 plus drat! Although there are grants kicking about at the moment so should be able to get 40% towards it. as you say, getting hold of a couple of bags of product would be good to take round outlets as a sample to gauge demand.

£6500 - Ouch, isn't that over double the price of the TR70?

As it is though, I reckon anything that's too big for the TR70 is good enough for the firewood stack anyway.

Managed to get hold of one bag off of Andy at a show but I'd of happily bought 10 or so but he wouldn't part with any more.

Have had a bit of a look at the grants but they seem like a lot of hard work

• 8 months later...

Finally got round to doing a bit of an experiment this week. We'd ran out f kindling and all I could find kicking about dry at home was the bag of branch loggings I'd had off Andy. Lit a firelighter, built up a bit of a pile of chunks, let it take and then loaded up the fire using the coal scuttle to see how well it lasted.

Was mainly Hazel with a bit of Ash but I was surprised at how long the pile burns for before wanting topped up. A bit quicker than normal logs but not as fast as you'd think with it being small and it also throws a good amount of heat out.

Feeding an open fire and handling it like coal seems to work quite well. Reckon loading a stove could be more of a pain though.

Wonder how easy it would be to convince people it's worth a try?

I've got the SM70 and reckon i've done roughly 500+ nets this winter alone all sold as kindling and just started doing much smaller nets aswell and it's flying out. Machine has paid for itself twice over. Once Welmac agree for me to have the first self propelled 110mm machine(foc) as a demonstrator for customers to view and take netted product to show their potential customers I'll be a happy bunny!!!lol

I've got the SM70 and reckon i've done roughly 500+ nets this winter alone all sold as kindling and just started doing much smaller nets aswell and it's flying out. Machine has paid for itself twice over. Once Welmac agree for me to have the first self propelled 110mm machine(foc) as a demonstrator for customers to view and take netted product to show their potential customers I'll be a happy bunny!!!lol

Can't remember if I asked before (sorry if I did) - do you put coppice poles through yours Phil or is it more joinery type wood?