Security

Steve Bullman

I've had my eye on these units for the past few years, havent really heard from anyone if they are actually any good or not....has anyone got anything like this? http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9284750&fh_view_size=6&fh_start_index=12&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=alarm&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1211999390776&isSearch=true

Andy's incident has made me focus my attention more towards my security.

Asked someone who installs full systems and he said they are OK.

The tip he gave was to cadge an installers sticker to put on the external cover. Scum will then think twice because pro fitters will change standard spec to fix known loop holes in a system.

Richard.

If its an outside shed and you have a mains wire running to it you can just buy a two part IR sensor.

You plug the sensor somewhere in the shed and plug a bleeper into a plug socket at the side of your bed.

If the detector picks anything up it will send a signal through the mains loop in your house and bing bong the bleeper at the side of your bed, without the thieves knowing.

You can then get out your remote control and set off all the booby traps you have set for them, swinging spiked ball, spring loaded 3x2, 12 bore blanks, pit with spikes in the bottom coated with dog muck, paintball guns.

You get the drift :icon14:

My incident was a typically well planned one. They sussed the range of the PIR on the light, and the camera. From hearing the shed doors go, to me flying outside uttering blood curdling profanities was about 3mins, and they were away quicker than **** of a shovel. I doubt I could have got there any quicker with anymore of an improved security system. The dog barked as the shed doors went, his full "protect" snarly growly bark.

I shot myself in the ribs with one of my booby traps. :scared:

not a bright idea serry hehe at least you know it worked!

i still thing the old 12bore blank in a tube is the best, if it doesnt give them a heart attact then hopefully itll alarm you

not a bright idea serry hehe at least you know it worked!

i still thing the old 12bore blank in a tube is the best, if it doesnt give them a heart attact then hopefully itll alarm you

It was the same thing that shot me only I packed a plastic bag into it to keep moisture out, shot me from about 12" and badly bruised about five ribs, put a big hole in my T shirt and put me on my knees :scared:

The biggest most important thing of security is vigilance, the vehicle suspected of involvement in my crime has been hanging about for about 6 weeks, although its on a public highway and therefore is not committing an offence. I feel now that they were assessing the camera angles and the security lighting. Easy to be wise after the event. My quad is well known in the area, yet no-one rang me to ask why it out late evening, as I never take it out other than tree work during the day. These are things that will be addressed with Neighbourhood Watch. IF the police had responded to the 999 crime in progress at the time, it would have prevented at least one other crime occurring during the night. This is being addressed with the Council and the Police Complaints Authority today. We the tax-payers pay for the Police Service, and they are answerable to us.

The other thing I feel guilty of is COMPLACENCY!! I dropped my guard, got lazy, felt safe. I went around yesterday and checked alarms etc, batteries on the saw alarms were flat, a padlock wasnt locked and so on. At the end of the day its laziness, and apathy. Dont think you wont get turned over, you will.