How much work do you have???

monkeypuzzle22

OK Hama...no need to state how you would have worked your socks off....its not like i posted this thread because i'm lazy...if there is very little work to keep a team of 6 busy then what can you do! My main role at RPS was to survey trees on HCA land, if HCA are not asking for this to be done then that is 90% of my work load is gone...

Its easy to sit there and state how you would swap jobs for this kinda work, well as you have told me...do it then. It was an ok job but not stimulating enough for people like you and me who want to learn and do new things...surveying street trees is nice work, but for 7 months without doing anything else..?

This is not the reason for the thread anyway, i am prepared to do the crap to get the cream...but its hard to stay motivated when you have nothing productive to do.

Cheers for the rant Hama!!!!!! All the same, doesn't matter now so...Oh an 'VERY few' nice touch

The fact that you make a statement like the one I have highlighted in bold, makes me think you will struggle if you go SE.

Why did you not look for other avenues of possible revenue??, in what ways could your skills be used to give your clients things they don't even know are available??

You could speak to other colleagues or even other department within the organization and see if their are ways you free time could be used to assist them for the greater good of the firm as a whole.

How any one can think its acceptable to surf the web for 8 hours a day is beyond me:confused1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Hama...no need to state how you would have worked your socks off....its not like i posted this thread because i'm lazy...if there is very little work to keep a team of 6 busy then what can you do! My main role at RPS was to survey trees on HCA land, if HCA are not asking for this to be done then that is 90% of my work load is gone...

Its easy to sit there and state how you would swap jobs for this kinda work, well as you have told me...do it then. It was an ok job but not stimulating enough for people like you and me who want to learn and do new things...surveying street trees is nice work, but for 7 months without doing anything else..?

This is not the reason for the thread anyway, i am prepared to do the crap to get the cream...but its hard to stay motivated when you have nothing productive to do.

Cheers for the rant Hama!!!!!! All the same, doesn't matter now so...Oh an 'VERY few' nice touch

My best friends are the ones who give me a slap in the face when needed!:thumbup1: and you NEEDED it!

Sometimes we need to hear the truth, even though it as distastefull in delivery as it is in recieving it, it needed saying, you was looking over the fence at greener pastures that do not exist, cept in a dream like haze, and theres nowt wrong with aspirational dreaming, it gives us a direction to head in. we may never get there but the journey is what defines us.

I know all too well how hard it is to sit there day in day out bored out of your wits, but if your honest with yourself, you could have been on the phone and net aquiring the kind of surveys YOU wanted to do, and adding to the firms portfolio, earning thier respect and developing the role YOU wanted, they gave you time to do all this, and resources to back it all up, hence the muppet remark!

Like huck says above though, if you couldnt bring yourself to those ideas and ideals, self employment may well be the wrong move for you, as it requires a great deal of discipline and effort, there is NOONE to fall back on or blame, its ALL down to you, there is no safety net.

I would have killed for that role, and used my bum on seat time to do something about gaining the kind of work I wanted while waiting for thier "mundane work":001_rolleyes:

callum, your very young, with still alot to learn, take onboard comments that im sure are aimed at being helpful and not hurtful, if you do go down the self employed route its hard work but rewarding in so many ways - weve got your number if we need you - when ive had knockbacks theres always something to learn from it and do differently - after all hindsight is a wonderful thing - keep your chin up, all the best joy

To be fair, if you hold a junior position in a large organisation as it sounds like Callum did, then it is often not the type of environment where you would be expected or encouraged to go out touting for business.

Staff are taken on when times are good and dropped when things slow down. I can understand that if you are a small cog in big machine and your position looks vulnerable you would be looking out for yourself, rather than thinking of ways to win the next big deal for the company - and it would need to be BIG - just to secure your job for another few months.

Yeah thats fair comment giles, I just sit here wanting a similar role thinking crikey what i would do for THAT oportunity!

Fustrating, as indeed was Monkepuzzles position, as i said, grass is always greener on the other side.

I live for those RARE days when im working a vet, it is rare as rocking horse dung, and i spend ALL my free time within the vet forests because i love that environment, but if I didnt have free time to get that fix, man alive i would be lost.

Fustrating, as indeed was Monkepuzzles position, as i said, grass is always greener on the other side.

I know the feeling... Here's some of my gripes:

My work has me waking up at 3 or 4 am, thinking about stuff I'm working on / need to do. Lack of sleep and sitting on your backside in front of computer for 12 hrs a day every day for several years is not good for you. My daily exercise routine involves coming downstirs in the morning and nipping outside for a ciggy.:001_rolleyes:

Everyone want's everything done yesterday, I get so tied up in meeting deadlines that I never get round to invoicing.

I don't spend enough time with the kids

There's no time to go fishing

I can't afford a helicopter

etc etc

On the plus side, I realise that most of my 'problems' are down to me being me and I can address them before they get too out of hand - I'm giving up smoking again, catching up on 6 months of invoicing, making a bit of time for the kids, even had a couple of (short) fishing trips...

On the plus side, I realise that most of my 'problems' are down to me being me and I can address them before they get too out of hand - I'm giving up smoking again, catching up on 6 months of invoicing, making a bit of time for the kids, even had a couple of (short) fishing trips...

But.................you still cant afford a helicopter.:001_tt2::lol:

But.................you still cant afford a helicopter.:001_tt2::lol:

My life is a series of disappointments. :thumbup1:

BTW, I just wondering why a helicopter had come to mind rather than something equally unachievable like a gin palace yacht or a Bentley. Then I remebered the avatar.:001_rolleyes: I live near Wattisham army base and those things are flying over all the time.