tripping a hung tree

dadio

.......or maybe you are wrong about only there being 1 scenario.

hows about this then?

As you can see, as rootplate drops (A), the windblown tree AKA "widowmaker" will attempt to follow it down in the direction arrowed (B) due to pressure exerted by the adjacent tree.

whatever happens, it won't be dropping straight down will it?

or will it? :confused1:

That is wrong.. if the pieces is still attached to the rootplate, as the rootplate drops back into the hole, the but will follow. BUT that is extremely rare, as the rootplate will not drop until after separation in most cases. The snap cut also assures the faller of a clean separation.

Any effect of back pressure from a bending adjacent tree will not be enough to overcome the force of gravity pulling straight down on the butt. The butt actually moves slightly in towards the direction where the top is hung (not back), thus the hung tree gets straighter with every cut. If the hung tree is heavy enough to bend the adjacent tree significantly, then the weight of the hung tree, falling straight down with gravity, will overcome any slight back push from a bending tree. Especially since the the amount of weight taken off the bending tree from a low cut on the hung tree is minimal.

Once again, as long as the hung tree is not tip heavy, there will be no back movement of the butt towards the faller.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so now you are suggesting im inexperienced because i disagree with you?

Not at all...

its like bucking a downed tree. You don't even have to think about which way to make the cut, you've done it so many times, you just know where the compression and tension will be. Its all pure physics. Not at all unpredictable. It becomes second nature.

What makes a hung tree any different? The forces involved may be slightly more complex, but it is all still pure physics.. Nothing unpredictable about it. If you understand the forces and have had the experience to see them in action, then it becomesl very predictable.

Once again, as long as the hung tree is not tip heavy, there will be no back movement of the butt towards the faller.

I can't see how you can think its simply black and white.

The knowledge and expeiance gained during a couple of years spent clearing windblown plantations back in the 90's leads me to disagree. It depends on size and species of not only the windblown tree, but also the tree it is blown into. It depends on the angle that the hung up tree is resting at, It depends if the tree is on the level, or leaning downhill or leaning uphill. It even depend, to a certain extent to the cc's of the saw and the length of bar. If you work on windblown trees day in day out on moorland, on steep valleys or waterlogged clayladen bogs, you get to do a few experiments, and you get to have a few expeiances. Do I think I am better than all those poors souls who came a cropper dealing with a windblown, simply because one hasn't got me yet? NO. I reckon that is arrogance of the highest order.

Not at all...

its like bucking a downed tree. You don't even have to think about which way to make the cut, you've done it so many times, you just know where the compression and tension will be. Its all pure physics. Not at all unpredictable. It becomes second nature.

What makes a hung tree any different? The forces involved may be slightly more complex, but it is all still pure physics.. Nothing unpredictable about it. If you understand the forces and have had the experience to see them in action, then it becomesl very predictable.

I have never read so much codswallop in my life. You are just contradicting yourself now, and making yourself look like a cocky newbie who thinks they have all the answers.

May i give you some friendly advice (although i imagine you will pay no heed to it as you have all the answers already)- stop digging the hole you are in deeper, before this turns into a silly gainsaying excercise?:001_smile:

Not at all...

No, i STRONGLY disagree. Sure you can assess a tree's tension and compression points, but the tree still remains unpredictable

I hope you dont find out the hard way

Not at all...

Isn't Chaos theory a branch of physics?

Maybe its Maths?:blushing:

Maybe even that isn't cut-n-dried / Black and White:lol:

Gotta say I'm quite interested in how others would go about getting that tree down.

Not being funny when I say that but Ive not had much experience in the above situation so would like to hear from others who have.

99% of the time Ive had to take down a windthrown tree its been over someones house/property so its been quietly and sneakily climb and cut without the tree or gravity realising or crane tastic.

Think its best to start a new thread though.:001_smile:

SO here's a question for you all...

What is the one situation where the butt will not drop straight down?

Anyone know?

When you have no real idea on variable, abstract and unpredictable tensions and compresions.

Yes, there is approved methods of dealing with hung trees. Which all British foresters are tought and examined on in a practical situation.

If I were dealing with this situation in an Arboricultural sense, i think it would be a fully rigged and safe sectional dismantle in manageable, safe, predictable pieces.

Stop trying to train on no budget with no idea.