firewood's time and motion study

firewood

Here is a question for you all:

how many man hours would it take to cut and split 5m3 of hardwood (beech, ash & sycamore) and manually load into truck (2 x 2.5m3 loads)

you have the chainsaw of your choice and a petrol driven splitter

the lengths to be split vary in diameter from 8" to 36". there is a good mix of all sizes between these diameters. the lengths are stacked up on top of each other (not laid out on the ground 1 deep) to a max height of 12 feet

no mechanical handling allowed.

you are working single handed.

It took me on my own 4 1/2 days to cut to size with a chainsaw, split with a splitter on the back of a tractor, and stack in 15' block head high. However this was forest grown timber, so straight with few branches.

I would upload some photos but my phone has decided that it can not talk to the computer

Here is a question for you all:

how many man hours would it take to cut and split 5m3 of hardwood (beech, ash & sycamore) and manually load into truck (2 x 2.5m3 loads)

you have the chainsaw of your choice and a petrol driven splitter

the lengths to be split vary in diameter from 8" to 36". there is a good mix of all sizes between these diameters. the lengths are stacked up on top of each other (not laid out on the ground 1 deep) to a max height of 12 feet

no mechanical handling allowed.

you are working single handed.

8 hours:blushing:

the only time i set a side 1 full day just to do logs from scratch, there was 4 of us, dad sawing the off stack, 1 lad on the splitter(old slow petrol splitter), 1 lad chucking into bags and me over seeing, getting bags ready and stacking with timber crane(this was only to get them clear so we had room to work) we stopped loads of times for food and mars bars etc, pretty relaxed day, maybe over 6 hours in winter and we did over 30 bulk bags. so approx 15 m3. logs were all the width of an 026.