Mitsubishi L200 Advice needed.

Czlowiek Drzewo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I brought a 03 reg a year ago for £4k - suspect clock wound back, bit of a risk and rough looking but proved to be a good truck to use on an estate. As a truck they are well built but being a work truck they will all have a harder life than a car of the same year.

Around the 03 era thay can have cylinder head probs - mine is ok. They all need cam and balance belts changing - my advise if you buy one change the belts as urgent. One friend had one 02 reg but after a year the belt went and dropped a valve £2k to sort it. Also the bottom pullley can fail causing extra load on the fan belts damaging the water pump.

I changed all belts, bottom pulley, water pump (slight noise but not a roadside job to replace), all fluids, cleaned out the intercooler (be careful on that one) reset valve gear & new rocker gasket ( an oil leak on the rocker box can leak oil onto the exhast manifold - making it smell like its blown the motor). My gearbox is a bit rough but after a year is still ok - may change it next year.

Oh often the front of an old L200 can be a bit low, I wound up the torsion bars (needs a bit of advise)and fitted H/D rear springs as the STD rear springs can fail.

I picked up a set of 31 x 10.5 - 15 M/T's on alloy wheels for winter off road use, they fit OK. Also I fitted a rear winch about 4 tonne for tree work and made up a ground anchor for pulling boughs out of hedges etc.

Overall I am pleased with my L200 and plan on keeping it for the next few years, when using off road with the risk of plenty of dents and full of gundogs on shoot days why pay more.

Good luck

The old advise is take somebody along for a secnd look - good luck.

HI there be careful with 2002 2003 models as crankshaft normaly goes in the engine around 80/85,000 miles.Mine did.Cost around £2000 to repair or to get a short engine.Im sure others will add to this

Thought this was a Navara problem not L200; conrods?

I brought a 03 reg a year ago for £4k - suspect clock wound back, bit of a risk and rough looking but proved to be a good truck to use on an estate. As a truck they are well built but being a work truck they will all have a harder life than a car of the same year.

Around the 03 era thay can have cylinder head probs - mine is ok. They all need cam and balance belts changing - my advise if you buy one change the belts as urgent. One friend had one 02 reg but after a year the belt went and dropped a valve £2k to sort it. Also the bottom pullley can fail causing extra load on the fan belts damaging the water pump.

I changed all belts, bottom pulley, water pump (slight noise but not a roadside job to replace), all fluids, cleaned out the intercooler (be careful on that one) reset valve gear & new rocker gasket ( an oil leak on the rocker box can leak oil onto the exhast manifold - making it smell like its blown the motor). My gearbox is a bit rough but after a year is still ok - may change it next year.

Oh often the front of an old L200 can be a bit low, I wound up the torsion bars (needs a bit of advise)and fitted H/D rear springs as the STD rear springs can fail.

I picked up a set of 31 x 10.5 - 15 M/T's on alloy wheels for winter off road use, they fit OK. Also I fitted a rear winch about 4 tonne for tree work and made up a ground anchor for pulling boughs out of hedges etc.

Overall I am pleased with my L200 and plan on keeping it for the next few years, when using off road with the risk of plenty of dents and full of gundogs on shoot days why pay more.

Good luck

The old advise is take somebody along for a secnd look - good luck.

True re crank pulley - can break up...

Buy a Hilux

Possibly but L200 is definately more comfortable :laugh1:

buy a ford ranger much better and not so bad on the fuel

True the IDI lump in the L200 is greedy on juice. I have crucified my 04 reg with so much grief and towing silly weights and never had an ounce of bother. Can't break it. Sometimes wonder if there are friday-afternoon built ones or more likely friday-afternoon owners.

Oh and the turning circle is crap.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor