You've got me at it now Hama

Albedo

i used to love my photo excersises at collage, panning was a revelation to me! as was learning how to make the moon massive in a night shot, awsome, a trick played with double exposures. I also love the technique of using a slow shutter on a tree at night then running round with a flash gun lighting up the portions i want you dont show up in the image but the light does, due to the slow shutter you are never picked up.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a quality bit of explaining H.

So optimum DOF macr/landscape needs a slow shutter speed = more light

but small aperture to capture the detail of the subject.

So should I try shooting a fungi thing at F2, and as the LX5 defaults I think to 1/60th, maybe change it to 125th on shutter speed?

although I appreciate that, to answer that, you might need to know more about what the desired image is.

NO NO NO!

big F number small hole, big apertures small numbers ie F2, its reversed.

something else to remember with macro is that the number of blades that form the aperture is vital to quality of image, this is because being blades the smaller the hole becomes the more angular the edges of the aperture, more blades less aberations more detail crisp image. my 100mm macro had 16 blades, was AWSOME at f 32:thumbup1:

and your not getting the concept, if you want depth from your LX5 go F8 to F5, if you want depth of field go BIG in numbers, SLOW in shutter times, if you want depth, select aperture priority mode and use a tripod.

if your hand holding select shutter priority mode and set iether 60th of a second or 125th depending on your shake personaly, and let the camera work out the F stops.

this is where a reflector helps, it will give you more light and therefore let the camera choose a smaller aperture for the shutter speed you chose, are you with me?

and your not getting the concept, if you want depth from your LX5 go F8 to F5, if you want depth of field go BIG in numbers, SLOW in shutter times, if you want depth, select aperture priority mode and use a tripod.

if your hand holding select shutter priority mode and set iether 60th of a second or 125th depending on your shake personaly, and let the camera work out the F stops.

this is where a reflector helps, it will give you more light and therefore let the camera choose a smaller aperture for the shutter speed you chose, are you with me?

Nice one H.

Youv'e had to chip it out of stone but its getting thru to me now.

(I'm number dyslexic by the way which doesn 't help) This and some of the previous posts have been good, and I will now seriously do my homework on this and digest it all properly.

I have googled it by the way but there's no substitute for talking to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thanks for taking the time to explain and being patient with me. Youv'e given me my exercises for tommorrow:thumbup1:

good stuff, and dont worry about my time, its yours for the taking, i wouldnt give it if i wasnt willing.

and spoon feeding? well I like to help people as much as i can, i have certain skills to pass on, and if im asked i will give all i have and know, i wait to be asked these days, simply because soooo many felt i was giving unasked for lessons, and i dont want folk to think i am some sort of smart arse, i am not! i just like helping others get something out of what they do, ive been down this road, and why should I not help others?

And it makes it so much easier to give when someone appreciates it, rather than suspects your justing puffing out your chest and preening ones peacock suit!

Theres quiet enough peacocks in here already and i hate repatitions!:lol:

have you tried aperture priority or shutter priority?

when you do, youll find the little wheel by you right thumb, index on shutter, turn this wheel left to open the aperture in aperture priority or to slow the shutter priority. obviously turning right on the wheel takes you to smaller apertures F8 for example or faster shutter speeds in S/priority mode.

Now if you press the wheeel gently, you will be able to turn left to apply minus increments of exposure correction (I prefer 1/3rd stop under exposure for colour saturation) or right turn to over expose, then repress the wheel to go back to shutter or aperture priority settings.

Loving this camera Albedo, absolute dream machine.