Conny topping near power line

MaxJ

Thanks all, even you Tom!!

They are insulated but still going to speak with the power firm in the morning and see what they say. Customer has other work for me to do there and there's no rush on the job.

Thanks for all the constructive comments!

verry wise have worked close to them in the past but not close enough that i could die.

question who would yo rather be when a elec cable snaps climber or groundy i think groundy would be worse unless he was sitting in the van

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of posts that say the lines are insulated but a lot of them aren't they are just weather proofed. Also, it only takes one point of contact from a branch or part of the tree to rub through any insulating cable that may be around the line to render it useless. People working around so called insulated cable are more likely to get a belt because it seems safer to work around them. The only stuff that works well is a neutral screen which is wrapped around the actual live conductor. If you have no skills or experience with powerline work then leave it well alone or get it shut down. I've seen too many horror videos and worked with too many people that have had to deal with fatalities from cocky arborists who didn't show enough respect. Sorry if I've offended anybody but I'm more interested in saving lives.

I have had to do this quite a lot where i live, i call electricty northwest, fill out a form and wait for an engineer to have a look, then they find out if their are any planned shutdowns in the area, if there is we do the work on the same day if not they arrange a shut down. The longest i had to wait was 3 months! the shortest was i got to pick a date the following week. Electricty is invisible and lethal. life is too short anyway.....

Woof ya al!

So all that has been said is good and true! Except for Tom who was being a bit silly as highlighted by others!! This sounds like a classic 3rd party S/D depending on the circuit issue date to contractors etc etc!

Where’s your site?? This may be one of my Circuits! If so all I need is a risk assessment, method statement and I can plan an outage for you! Following a site meeting!

Pm me Max and I may be able to get it sorted for you!

Stay safe out there!!

I always get them shut off3 weeks is the normal turn around where i am and some times they turn up with the mog platform and a bit of money for a breakfast and its your to use. Oh and its free to get them to turn the lines off (East anglia) because it saves them having to pay out to get the lines cleared/ call out for repairs.

Woof ya al!

So all that has been said is good and true! Except for Tom who was being a bit silly as highlighted by others!! This sounds like a classic 3rd party S/D depending on the circuit issue date to contractors etc etc!

Where’s your site?? This may be one of my Circuits! If so all I need is a risk assessment, method statement and I can plan an outage for you! Following a site meeting!

Pm me Max and I may be able to get it sorted for you!

Stay safe out there!!

No that's a good post. :thumbup1:

Hope you can sort it out.

Thanks guys, spoke to them today and they are contacting the client to arrange a check visit. Once they've agreed on a way forward then I'll crack on. He told me 3mts and under is a no go. Meaning only 2 trees that cant be topped.

Thanks for the info.

Max