Hitch climber

Steve Bullman

Anyone got a vid of someone 'ascending' on a Hitch Climber. I got mine today (Cheers Jonsie) and just cannot get the knack.

Did find however that the Hitch Climber's top hole was better (smoother) for advancing my basic prussic.

the hitch climber is intended for the VT or similar knots Mac, cant see how you will get any benefits from using it with a basic prussik

i'll take a video of one in use next week if you like.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im not really sure what you're stuggling with to be honest mate, if you're already experienced with v.t use it really isnt any different to advance than a regular pulley.

Agree...and just to show U how to suck eggs mate...look up The Hitch Climbers Guide to the Canopy...to be found on the Treemagineers website for correct set up configurations.....!<<><><<>?? :sneaky2:

I purchased a hitchclimber pulley at the aa show in cirencester and have been using it daily since then. I love it. I use it with beeline friction cord, a ISC mighty mouse 4 way crab and a Petzl OK triact crab.

I have tried it with really short distel and short knut hitchs and also with a longer knut, I loved the shorter hitches but found that the eyesplice would catch on the top of the hitch and hold it open. I think a lower profile crab and splice would probably sort this out and also maybe some stiffer friction cord. I have found that i like a nice long VT the best with the system.

I had the Petzl OK triact crab open on me in the tree when I dragged it over a limb:scared1:. This is due to the design of the lock on the gate. On other crabs the up and twist movements are defined by 90 degree edges cut into the gate but on the triact gate its a 45 degree edge that makes the twist push the gate open .:confused1::thumbdown:

I really like the ISC quad lock crab:001_smile: supper safe.

Ive tried a few of the more advanced setups and love the versitility of it.

I tried putting a sling with a crab in it near my cambium saver and clipped the tail of the rope through the crab then descended out of the tree. When you go to ascend again. you just haul yourself up with the 3:1 advantage you have set up. Its really fast and might save some energy but just a bit of fun really.

I have found that with the longer vt I have to reach really far to pull down. This is due to having an excessively long bridge on my harness. So my next refinement is going to be to shorten the bridge on my harness.

I cant see any problem with girth hitching a sling to the top hole of the hitch climber and then clipping the eye splice to the other end to stop it interfering with a short hitch. Anyone tried this?

Anyway hope someone found this interesting. My girlfriend just started laughing at me when she read what I was typing over my shoulder.